Asilids with prey, Bipalium, weevil and hopper nymph

Name
kurt
Edit My Images
No
A big but very skittish robber fly (Ommatius sp. - ID credit: Eric Fisher) with an unidentified, tiny longhorn beetle prey . I had only two shots, one from slightly further away, and this one. It took after after that and was no where to be found . Selangor, Malaysia.
Ommatius sp. with prey IMG_4563 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

100% crop of the above
Ommatius sp. with prey IMG_4563 crop copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

This female robber fly should be sleeping at night but there she was, having a winged termite for late dinner. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Promachus sp. with winged termite prey IMG_4195 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Promachus sp. with winged termite prey IMG_4203 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Episomus sp. weevil - ID credit: Doug Yanega. Selangor, Malaysia.
Episomus sp. IMG_4409 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Ricaniid hopper nymph?
Planthopper nymph IMG_4211 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Planthopper nymph IMG_4209 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Hammerhead worm (Bipalium kewense - ID credit: Rowland Shelley) with prey? Malaysia.
Bipalium kewense IMG_2428 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

How f@@@@@g cool is that hopper nymph, all white with those BIG red eyes, just soo cool.
That 1st one, Robber fly is just great too and you just grabbed a quick 2 shots, well you got all the detail in so another box ticked.
All in all, great shots Kurt.
Many thanks

Oh these are all excellent, particularly that first robberfly. The lighting is gorgeous, that large diffuser is really working well.

What setup where these with? Are you still using the 60mm or have you brought the MP-E back into action?

Kurt, this set of images is nothing short of "Stunning" nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

Agreed - absolutely amazing shots :clap:

How f@@@@@g cool is that hopper nymph, all white with those BIG red eyes, just soo cool.
That 1st one, Robber fly is just great too and you just grabbed a quick 2 shots, well you got all the detail in so another box ticked.
All in all, great shots Kurt.
Many thanks

Thanks, Graham. They are not colorful but they are really cute and photogenic :)

The robber fly #1 is outstanding Kurt.

The hopper is brilliant.

Paul.

Thanks, Paul.

Oh these are all excellent, particularly that first robberfly. The lighting is gorgeous, that large diffuser is really working well.

What setup where these with? Are you still using the 60mm or have you brought the MP-E back into action?

Thanks, Tim. Still the same setup i.e 40D, SP60, 270EX I on hot shoe, and giant concave diffuser. The MPE65 and MT24 have been sitting in my drybox for about a year now. I might sell them off too!

WOW amazing shots, the second nymph is my favourite

Thank you, Neil.

Kurt, this set of images is nothing short of "Stunning" nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

Thanks, George.

Agreed - absolutely amazing shots :clap:

Thanks, Damian.

So good i have had three looks now.

Thanks, T0p Cat.

Absolutley outstanding Kurt. The Weevil and Hopper Nymph are swesome. That little hopper is really cool :D

These are incredible!! Love that first robberfly and the nymph is a really interesting subject too.

Great set, I'm sure I commented on this but clearly I didnt get set of bugs and that Robber fly awesomesauce. Little hopper looks proper fluffy.

And if you ever want to get rid of the MP-e I can trade my 18-55mm kit lens ;) lol

Back