Aubeterre-sur-Dronne, Charente

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
A few from Aubeterre-sur-Dronne, one of the 157 'Les Plus Beaux Villages de France'. It is the only one on the coveted list that is situated in the Charente (I think Dordogne and Aveyron have the most representation on the list with 10 each).

Château above the rooftops by Fuzzyfelt30, on Flickr

L'église St-Jacques et la Tour des Apôtres, Aubeterre by Fuzzyfelt30, on Flickr

L'église Saint-Jacques, Aubeterre by Fuzzyfelt30, on Flickr

Place Merkès-Merval in Aubeterre by Fuzzyfelt30, on Flickr

Place Trarieux in Aubeterre by Fuzzyfelt30, on Flickr

Aubeterre Château by Fuzzyfelt30, on Flickr

I did wonder once or twice if there is some very subtle HDR in there somewhere

I thought the tone mapping was rather obvious. While they're not in your face, there are haloes in the skies if you look. Somehow, it makes the images feel almost like they were taken under moonlight rather than daylight. :|

I think the tones in Nos. 2, 8 and 11 in particular suffer from a lack of genuine contrast as a result.

However, compositionally, 6 and 7 are much the strongest. 7 needs a little straightening up as it's leaning over to the left and I'm not quite convinced by the foliage in the top right corner (due to the red/orange filtering of the sky) but it's definitely my favourite of the group. (y)

3 is my fave but framing is very tight, 2 is great composition, would prefer to see some pure blacks and whites though.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :)

No HDR/tonemapping at all on these (hard to believe, I know!!! :LOL:)....all just Silver Efex Pro. Admittedly I do rather like the 'harsh high structure' preset then tweaking from there, which does tend to occasionally produce slight halos.....although I find they are much easier to spot when the shots are resized on here! :thinking:

As for #7, you're right, Rob, I probably did go a bit heavy-handed with the filters.....I was experimenting with different looking skies and went a bit too far and as a result, the yellowy/green foliage has been somewhat altered!

Unfortunately, #3 is as wide as you can go, Mark, as there is no room to get further away.....I cloned out part of the building to the left as it was!! I needed the 8-16mm which was in the camera bag, sitting on the floor of the office at home! :bang:

As for #7, you're right, Rob, I probably did go a bit heavy-handed with the filters.....I was experimenting with different looking skies and went a bit too far and as a result, the yellowy/green foliage has been somewhat altered!

I know conventional wisdom says otherwise, but I've found if you're going for really heavy red filters (to get 'black skies' effects) it's better to do it in camera than in PP. The edges at colour boundaries get a bit groggy otherwise, especially in areas like foliage.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :)

No HDR/tonemapping at all on these (hard to believe, I know!!! :LOL:)....all just Silver Efex Pro. Admittedly I do rather like the 'harsh high structure' preset then tweaking from there, which does tend to occasionally produce slight halos.....although I find they are much easier to spot when the shots are resized on here! :thinking:

Unfortunately, #3 is as wide as you can go, Mark, as there is no room to get further away.....I cloned out part of the building to the left as it was!! I needed the 8-16mm which was in the camera bag, sitting on the floor of the office at home! :bang:

You've got to watch that preset, the level of structure added recovers a lot of detail and can lead to a flat image, which essential is tone mapping.

I'd use the sliders in the normal mode to get the effect you want without having to be as severe as this.

Nice interesting set nonetheless

Thanks, Steve! :) Still a lot of messing about and learning required!

Thanks again, Paul! :)

There's a lot to look at there!

I'm not normally a fan of harsh shadows in shots but I actually quite like some of the ones in yours

I like the strong shapes and textures and the architectural subject suits the mono conversions

I could imagine these as wall art on the walls of an authentic Italian restaurant or coffee shop

Nice work

Last edited:
Thanks, Big Nick! :)

Back