Wild Little owl / Aug/Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb

The Male and Female owls are long past the toleration mode now and have gone in to survival mode were they retreat to their territories, albeit only hundreds of metres apart, just after breeding season the male would have no issues with the female hanging around the feeding area ,but not now ,he's the boss ,the male must know me by now as he s always nearby when I call down,flys off but returns within 30 mins ,the female even though I have been doing this for years is still very wary ,they never get used to you as they are and always be wild animals .Little owl 8th september Male by den9112, on Flickr

Both Families now fully dispersed from the respective sites and the adults have moved back in to their territories ,this shot would have taken me a couple of days a month or so ago ,but its taken me a couple of weeks to get the male a good hour before duskView attachment 20563

I believe I may have worked out tonight which bird as what area of territory ,this is the female who I don't normally see until dusk, the male always comes in earlier than the female and I usual leave when no birds are visible ,anyway the male came in and landed on the post and I expected him to stop around and take what was on offer, however from just a few feet in front of me from a crevis the female flew out and literally knocked the male flying of the post with a lot of verbal's,,it was also the same crevis that the birds (but now looking back the female chose ,which they do) as their nest for raising young ,anyway here she is feeling unusually for her very confident in her territory were normally the male spends most of the time and i thought was his territory View attachment 20887

Last edited:
Back