Auto-X racing 56k warning

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
I decided to post these in here rather than the transport thread because motorsport is what I enjoy the most and I take it quite seriously (even if I'm not that great at it) and so I'm always keen to hear advice on how to improve especially with the non-racing side of motorsport (Diego rules at this).

151.jpg

sign-11.jpg

101.jpg

sign2.jpg

PICT2099.jpg

PICT1879.jpg

bonnet1.jpg

back.jpg

bonnet2.jpg

pipe.jpg

Feel free to let rip I've got a thick skin.

Kev

Kev,
Nice set of pics of a sport I've never actually watched.
I'm no expert here, but I think you've made a good effort at catching the 'non action' side of motorsport (as you point out, Diego is tops at this).
Taking the pics in order;

#1 - Great action shot but a little under exposed resulting in you losing some of the background detail. I don't know if you shot in RAW, but you could try to recover some of the background detail. I had a go with your jpeg and used lightness, plus a curve. Some of the background detail is back in this shot, plus its brought out the bits of flying mud etc which adds to the action, but I'm sure you could do better.
km1m.jpg

#2 - great shot. I like it. I wouldn't change a thing (y)

#3 - another nice shot, but perhaps under exposed again a fraction:shrug:
I have attempted to bring out a bit more detail, but don't know if its better or not :shrug:
km2m.jpg

#4 - funny - I like it.

# 5 and 6 don't really work for me, unfortunately.

# 7 and 8 I like. Perhaps a little more post processing (levels and curve in CS2 maybe :shrug: ) might make them 'pop' a bit more?

#9 and 10 don't do much for me again.

In all though a good set. I've had a few goes at getting the 'behind-the-scenes' type shots and its not easy, so well done Kev. :clap:

Rich

I think that #2 would be better if the depth of field was greater so that you could see the cars in the background clearly. I realise that this may not have been possable due to the neccessary long shutter speed associated.

Davy

They do look slightly underexposed to me too, and would benefit from being tweaked a little, as Rick has done.

The captures themselves are great. I particularly like #'s 3 5 and 9, as youve caught the essence of movement well, especially the one with the two blokes stood still (y)

Thanks for the feedback folks. I deliberatly set the camera to underexpose slightly because it has a tendancy to overexpose but perhaps I over did it a bit. I tend to shoot the car shots in JPEG because I need to get them online ASAP and really can't be doing with editing 100's of RAW files at a time but I'm not certain of the best way to lighten them. Sometimes I use the middle levels slider, sometimes the brightness/contrast slider.

Thanks for the edits Rik, I was a bit cautious with these web edits and because I did them on the laptop they can't be trusted anyway. When I do them properly on the PC I'll know I can push them further.

Davy, thanks for the feedback. I deliberatly wanted the cars OOF as the sign was the key to the shot and I didn't want the cars to distract from them but to add a bit of reference to the sign if you get what I mean. I do think I could have gone a bit more in focus without having themfully in focus though.

Thanks Marcel. I wasn't sure if the onewith the marshalls would work or not because most people like motorsports cars to have the cars as the focus but I'm glad you like what I was attempting.
Kev

Before I start. Good stuff I'd be happy+ with these shots

However... Sorry ... couldn't resist. (had 5 mins to spare in PS2) yeah I know it's naff, but if you are small minded like me you might find it funny

1011.jpg

No. 1 - definitely looks under-exposed and generally looks very dull. Some PP work is req'd to give it some sparkle.

No.2 - Good composition, but again I think would benefit from some work to make it sparkle.

No. 3 - Good capture, but a crop would really help

No. 4 - The blown highlights in the middle ruin what would otherwise be a good shot

No. 5 - Doesnt work for me I'm afraid

No. 6 - I like the composition, but the space at the bottom is unnecessary

No. 7 - Not bad, shame about the blown highlights in the sky, but that cant really be helped

No. 8 - I like this - great capture. I htink it needs a little work to bring it out a bit more though. The mud flying is great though.

No. 9 - Having the "151" upside down doesnt really make a great pic I'm afraid!

No. 10 - It owuld be nice to read the full wording on the bend, otherwise its a good shot.

Back