Autofocus has become inaccurate on Canon 70-300 DO lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello - I am not aware that I have dropped this or damaged it but I went out with this lens to test my new Kenko teleconverter on my Canon 5D MkIII and my 7D MkI and the images were all slightly blurred. I haven't used my 70-300 DO f4.5-5.6 IS USM for a couple of months.
(PS it's not the teleconverter - this is perfectly sharp with my 100mm f2.8 IS USM macro lens).

At home afterwards I scratched my head as to why my images of the Egret were blurred so I did some testing at home.

- if I do an autofocus and then switch to live view the image is not quite sharp - I have to manually focus slightly nearer to get sharp.
- if I do a manual focus in live view and then switch off live view and change to Autofocus the focus changes to slghtly further away but is not sharp
- manually focussed images are sharp.
- same results on 5D and 7D so it's definitely the lens.
- auto focussed images with my other lens are in focus.

So it seems an issue with my 70-300 DO lens - I have tried the AF microadjustment on the 5D and adjusting to -20 improves the focus but is not quite there. If I send it back to canon can they do some adjustment / repair (can't see how damaged - works perfectly in other respects)?

Anybody with knoweldge about these things please?

Mel :( :ty:

Last edited:
How is the 70-300mm without the teleconverter?

Sorry should have made this clear - issue is there with the lens on its own - with both bodies - teleconveter is a "red herring" - shouldn't have mentioned it!
Mel

Back