Autum at last

Edit My Images
Yes
AutGTit1_zps10dce1ff.jpg

My favourite time when the leaves thin letting sunlight (when we get any) through to provide a backdrop to my visitors to the feeders. The leaves are only just turning = Fall about a month late this year in the UK

Great Tit

Lovely colours in this, have you thought of cloning out the bird which seems to be a bit distracting?

Lovely colours in this, have you thought of cloning out the bird which seems to be a bit distracting?

:D:D You are wicked. Correct of course but wicked.

I shall have to put up the shots when the bird has flown. I get plenty of those!

Thank God I'm not the only one that thinks photography should be fun!

Perhaps if you put it in the Photos for Pleasure section it wouldn't attract crit. Just a thought like.

I think they are saying you missed the focus. Don't listen to the haters mate, we are all learning, it's just some people have darker hearts than others.

I think they are saying you missed the focus.

It has nothing to do with being a hater or having dark hearts as you describe it Simon. Ely has been posting similar images for the past couple of years. Myself as well as others have offered advice on how to improve his bird shots in that coarse of time.Never bothered getting any replies back as such,so perhaps you can explain what it`s all about? Because up till now I just ain`t getting it.

It has nothing to do with being a hater or having dark hearts as you describe it Simon. Ely has been posting similar images for the past couple of years. Myself as well as others have offered advice on how to improve his bird shots in that coarse of time.Never bothered getting any replies back as such,so perhaps you can explain what it`s all about? Because up till now I just ain`t getting it.

I hate everybody and everything and my heart is blacker than black (oh and I'm a troll too evidently:D:D). Yours ain't as you have only had one heart attack, you lightweight that you are.;)

What you speak is the truth tho Rich. There has never been an improvement in the standard of his pictures over the years nor as far as I recall any acknowledgement of the assistance offered or efforts to act on it. Strange imo.

I have been having problems with autofocus with this camera and mean to try some tests. I assure you that his is on a tripod and centre spot focus as near to the eye as possible using the sigma 2.8 70-200. A fill in flash used.

I started photography with a 5x4 plate of my father's back in 1948 - built first enlarger aged 12 and 120 film using a Bessa then int 35mm slr abut 1960 plus the Rolli TLR Used photoshop as soon as it arrived and put off digital until the canon 300D.
Now use the 40D and 600D taking anything that interests me - a lot of youngsters for school events and at youth clubs. My images have raised a lot of money for charities.
This softness in annoying me - yes my images are for pleasure, but still learning, anyone who isn't is a fool. I hope the forum is to share our pleasure in photography. I have produced prints to get 20/20 at clubs, but the formula approch was no real pleasure - just to prove a point. My score on other's work it WISHI'D - yes I wish I had taken that. Have fun on the forum - don't put folk off (I have a well developed thick skin in my 70's) and be willing to express an honest opinion and advice

Grumpy old man of the Fens!

I have been having problems with autofocus with this camera and mean to try some tests. I assure you that his is on a tripod and centre spot focus as near to the eye as possible using the sigma 2.8 70-200. A fill in flash used.

I started photography with a 5x4 plate of my father's back in 1948 - built first enlarger aged 12 and 120 film using a Bessa then int 35mm slr abut 1960 plus the Rolli TLR Used photoshop as soon as it arrived and put off digital until the canon 300D.
Now use the 40D and 600D taking anything that interests me - a lot of youngsters for school events and at youth clubs. My images have raised a lot of money for charities.
This softness in annoying me - yes my images are for pleasure, but still learning, anyone who isn't is a fool. I hope the forum is to share our pleasure in photography. I have produced prints to get 20/20 at clubs, but the formula approch was no real pleasure - just to prove a point. My score on other's work it WISHI'D - yes I wish I had taken that. Have fun on the forum - don't put folk off (I have a well developed thick skin in my 70's) and be willing to express an honest opinion and advice

Grumpy old man of the Fens!

Ely, I am quite aware of your background and the good work you do.But I will stand by my first comment and emphasise that the soft bird images have been going on for a while.Is this the same camera you have had for a while now,or another that you have picked up? This shot gets me wondering if you even had this on remote firing, can you supply the exif please?

"Fangman"

I cannot understand how you got the image ....... as you say it is on a tripod, using a flash and autofocus.

can you post the original un-cropped image, just as it came out of the camera
What software did you use to process the image
What shutter speed, fvalue, and ISO rating

Your image seems to be out of focus, over exposed and noisy

it almost looks like a scanned film image that has gone wrong

Last edited:
Maybe Ely needs new glasses? Photo looks great when you squint! ;)

:whistle:

Just a thought, is it the lens combined with heavy cropping? I am asking because your other photos that would seem to have been taken with a shorter lens are spot on for focus and sharpening, but all the bird shots look like heavy crops and not always in focus - the few I do are too, as I use the Nikon equivalent, which even for garden birds is no where near long enough really and because you are trying to focus on a tiny subject, the focus is often missed, I probably get one sharp in focus one for every 8 or 9 binners. if the Nikon one does this, I can guarantee the Sigma one will be marginally worse. I know this is probably teaching granny to suck eggs, but check that lens on something that is easier for it to grab a focus on to be sure, something large and contrasty.

just to add to what Yv said, use spot focus, (single cell on the eye), and spot exposure and see what you get

Back