B&W or colour, any comments

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this shot last week on Skye, I'm not sure if it lends itself more to B&W or in it's original colour version.

Any ideas as I normally stay away from B&W

skye-1-2.jpg

skye-1-3.jpg

I won't choose and you can't make me :)
Really, first off I like the image very much.
Ordinarily I would pick the BW, but with this I really am torn.
The colour works so well too.

Your not much help, are you :D

skye-4.jpg

The boat was dead & under water, I went back the following day to try some different angles......... but the tide was out :wacky:

In answer to the question I feel the colour one is best.

I personally would also crop out some (but not all) of the seaweed in the bottom giving it a more letter box aspect ratio.

I'm a self confessed mono fan but in this instance I'm drawn more towards colour.

It looks like colour one wins on TPF :) (I prefer it as well) while a group that I post to on Farcebook like the B&W !

I personally would also crop out some (but not all) of the seaweed in the bottom giving it a more letter box aspect ratio.

I'd left the weed in to give it context but I understand where you coming from, especially the framing :)

Personally I prefer the second one as the colours jump out on you the B/W on is to grey and the first colour one is flat

Dave

I think you're being unfair to your B&W image which looks as though it's just had a B&W layer added to the colour version- which often leaves images looking flat. I think you need to work a bit on B&W to bring out tones and contrast. Hope you don't mind a I noted you're OK with editing of your images so I ran the colour version through Nik Silver Efex Pro and got a B&W in a few minutes as below- not great but could do more with the RAW file and a bit more time. Don't know if you like it but it shows what's to be gained from mono conversions with a little work.

View attachment 19559

Damn, I saw the B&W and studied it...'this is for me', I said, then I saw the colour and, well, that one was for me. The focus works really well as does the (apparent) desaturated colours.

I like it.

Cheers.

Note how in the first pair the removal of colour alters the effect of the composition. The removal of the blue in the sky in particular changes the way the eye wanders about the image. The light or your rendition of it is rather lugubrious though across both versions, but is lessened in the mono.

Apart from that, I feel that the underside of the boat and its reflection is probably just too dark. But Jim's mechanical conversion smacks of too much, too easily, and has a metallic flavour unsympathetic to a sense of the scene.

Last edited:
I think that in the mono version there is a better image in there. Jims might be a bit too much but for me the blue sky and its reflection in the colour version is a distraction which isn't there in the mono.

My thoughts are the same as Gaz. There is more potential in a mono version. As they stand I prefer the colour one, but I think a better mono conversion would be the one.

Back