Critique B&W - Stairs

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Another image from our Liverpool holiday - main library stairs.

6138-1406369668-2f0cdc6d1726ede1f9daf291490b9d99.jpg

I have deliberately darkened the 'non-stairs' part of the image to focus attention on the stairs themselves. So the question is 'does it work' - because it definitely doesn't if they aren't darkened:)

It works for me. I really like these kind of shots but my eye doesn't spot them, which annoys me.

There is something just over half way down the right edge of the shot visible through the glass - a cafe table perhaps, or maybe just a trick of the reflection? My eye was pulled to that, wondering what it was which you might or might not want.

Thanks Ian - you are right - there is something there part of the lighting I think, I can easily darken it further - thanks for pointing it out:)

Thanks Toni - I have been struggling with B&W conversions for some considerable time now and am at last getting it more right than wrong:)

I like the composition and think your darkening of the non-stair areas is right, although it is the kind of image I would re-work time and again. Architectural B/W images always work well for me.

Thanks Alan.

When I was there taking the picture it was almost dizzying looking down so to try and re-create that feeling I felt I had to simplify the image to concentrate on the stairs

Looks great: composition has good static / dynamic tension; tones are good. Forget about any more tinkering. It's there.

Thanks Rog and Jordon.

It had been hard work getting to the stage where my B&W images are a reasonable standard - some of them have been really panned.

But I never have liked giving up and I stuck at it and listened to all the comments people had made and eventually started to make progress - still get it wrong but generally I feel I am currently on an upward trend (or at least it isn't downward :))

I like the processing but can't help but feel there may have been a better angle for this. Perhaps something with only the stairs in it missing out the floor section at the top?

I like the processing but can't help but feel there may have been a better angle for this. Perhaps something with only the stairs in it missing out the floor section at the top?

Thanks for commenting.

The picture was taken during a holiday in Liverpool so I don't have the option of re-shooting.

It's some time since I looked at it and I still like it as the sense of 3D in 2D image is reinforced in two ways:

• going from light to dark (which is the opposite of what is normal in a landscape)
  • higher to lower
So thanks for reminding me of this one:)

Back