Babyface

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
I took some photos of a friends baby recently, Im not good with portraits as its not something in my comfort zone. I did quite an extreme edit with this one that I really liked but my wife hated it. Just wondered what others thought ?

It reminds me of an album cover from years ago (I might be wrong but im sure ive seen something similar a long time ago)

Album Cover by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

Does no favours to the baby - uphill nostrils not a good look.

I know where you were going with this - I've done one of these, ages ago... there's a PS tutorial out there somewhere on this sort of thing. I thought it looked kinda cool, but ultimately met with the same responses... I think the idea behind it is doable (doable, is that a word?) but here the execution isn't quite right for a few reasons. Nothing stopping you from trying again though, tamed down. I have seen it work well... Oh, but try it in B&W...

I think if both eyes were in focus and the nostils weren't so prominent (you can always sort that out in pp) I think you'd get more along the lines of what you were attempting - I can see where you were going with it and I think it would look good, as bethy said, if executed a bit better.

That could inspire a SciFi genre - Attack of the babies from beyond. ;)

I quite like it in all it's awefulness. It's unusual to see a shocking image of something ordinary, and I don't think you should bin it, though it's not one for the bedroom wall. :)

I'm all for trying different things with photography Adam, it's the only way to progress. But in this instance for me it really doesn't work but I would be interested to see some additional shots in this style but more suttle.;)

George.

I think that while the processing is extreme that's personal taste rather than the core problem. I think this image could have worked but for the fact that you've (a) shot up the child's nose (b) seem to have lit him/her from beneath the chin and (c) have used such a shallow DoF that only one eye is in focus.

The result is horror lighting, scary camera angle and alarming processing rather than cutesy only-just-there high key. My apologies, that sounds terribly harsh - I'd much rather see brave failures like this than safe-but-dull.

Thanks all for the input it's really appreciated and good to get all the feedback

Back