Back button focus, Canon 7D - no Image stabilisation (help plz)

Name
urrrm.... Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
hi,
i'm looking for a bit of help.
I have a 7D and use BBF quite a lot, on my sigma 70-200. however, OS/IS doesn't kick in when i either press the focus button on the back or half press the shutter.
however, with similar settings it does when I use my 5Dii which is much older.
it's the same or the 24-70 lens that I have.
I can get IS/OS/VC to kick in on the 7D but only if I setup the DOF preview button to activate IS.
so I know the mechanism works and the IS on the lenses.

So having searched for an answer I'm now a bit stumped. can anyone offer some sage advice?
thanks

Hi Matt
Sounds strange i use BBF all the time with the 7d and 1dmkiv with no problems,could it be a setting you've perhaps changed accidentally in the custom functions?

I personally would try removing the battery and reinserting,plus do a reset back to camera defaults(bit of a ball ache i know)...
Have you got the latest firmware?

Paul

thanks paul
I'll double check. I think I have the latest firmware.
I presume that it's a setting but I really can't find it yet!

Hi

I have BBF on my 7D and as said above it works perfectly with the IS.

I've just looked through the menus and I don't see where you could enable /disable the IS on it's own from either the AF-ON or the shutter button.

David

Hi

I have BBF on my 7D and as said above it works perfectly with the IS.

I've just looked through the menus and I don't see where you could enable /disable the IS on it's own from either the AF-ON or the shutter button.

Thanks David, I'm a bit stumped, I may just have to reset!

Last edited:
i've just checked and I'm on firmware 2.0.3, not the latest 2.0.5
I don't see any updates in the change log that would improve this. but I will use this as a start and then reset my setting
I don't think that I Have any settings apart from BBF that I would need to re-address

right, an update.
I've now SOLVED this and as usual it was down to User Error!

by enabling the manual start of IS with the DOF preview button (in the quick menu controls) it disabled the IS start by AF or shutter buttons.

So entirely my fault, but now rectified.
thanks your help and patience :)

SO MANY BUTTONS ! SO MANY OPTIONS ! ARRGH!!!!!! ;) Damn these high tech wonders. Been there, Done similar.

New motto for todays cameras. "Smart Cameras, Dumb Users." :exit: (We're not dumb the tech just makes it appear so sometimes :coat: )

Last edited:
Back