Back in the sublime Rhinogydd

Edit My Images
No
I haven't posted here for a while as the weather has been shocking in Snowdonia for weeks and the good days have seen me at work...very frustrating!

However...

Today was a special day...

I parked in beautiful Cwm Bychan and headed up onto Clip where strangely I couldn't settle, the atmosphere of the mountain made me feel very uneasy today.

So, I went back down to Bwlch Gwilim and onto Craig Wion where I had one of the most intense emotional responses to a landscape since my early days in the mountains. I was almost moved to tears.

From leaving the car to returning five hours later, I saw no one.

There is something incredibly affecting about the Rhinogydd, something which keeps me returning time and again...

Wilderness Wales - Rhinog Fawr from Craig Wion by Nick Livesey Mountain Images, on Flickr

Thanks guys, it was just what the doctor ordered as I've not been able to get out much in the last few weeks.

I get very crabby when I can't get out into the hills ;)

And I thought that I was the only one that felt these feelings of uneasiness an emotion sometimes on the mountains. Unfortunately I live too far to experience it enough nowadays. Fortunately you and the others up there can still give us the pleasure of the mountains till the next visit and calm our withdrawal symptoms!
Lovely shot, can feel the atmosphere bubbling through, Can almost feel the cold on my face! Fantastic golden light coming in from the right...... stunning.

Alone on the mountain nothing like it

Last edited:
Beautiful colours!

I thought I was the only one with these feelings too. Although I inhabit Dartmoor more than mountains sometimes it's as if the place just doesn't want me there, especially when I've been away for a little while. Then other times I feel like it's given me a big hug. Weird! The therapy is in going back again and getting over it, and again, and again............
You had stunning light.

Superb shot Nick. I too have an affinity with the Rhinogs after first walking there many years ago, they are a special part of Wales, or the world for that matter. I have had a shot planned for many years up there, studied it on Photographers Ephemeris and planned the walk/camp too. Every year when the timing has been what I am after work has got in the way, and other times I have stood on the Bwlch in the Mach Loop with no jets looking over to the Rhinogs thinking I should be up there instead and looking through your flickr I see you have already got the shot I had in mind far better than I could! I'll still go though, just to be alone.

Back