Backing up photo's with no pc or wifi?

Name
Mr Compatible Ink
Edit My Images
No
As per title i'm off abroad soon, for personal reasons i can't bring a laptop, and there will be no wifi at destination.

It's an escape from it all break, i will be taking one of my camera's, and i will have a portable hard drive, so what would be the best solution to back up my cards/photo's at the end of each day, remembering i will have no pc or wifi access.

Last edited:
I have a USB OTG cable for my smartphone, and a number of high capacity USB drives.

A bit of a fiddle, but you can then connect the camera to phone & copy the files to the SD card, then disconnect phone, connect USB drive and copy from phone to USB (or onto multiple USB's, if you're feeling paranoid).
Does mean you need a way of keeping the phone charged though.

What camera do you have?

not sure the reasons for not being able to take laptop ( size/weight/bulk ? )
but i was in similar situation a week ago ( going on hols tomorrow ). and picked up for £45 a 10.1 netbook ( samsung ) .. 250gb Hard drive, windoze 7 and sd card reader.. 6-8 hours battery life and its running adobe elements 12 and lightroom 3 on it.
all i did was upgrade ram from 1gb to 2gb.. works a treat though a little slow it means i have somehwhere to store the images, plus i can view them and also when not doing photography stuff watch movies and the like on it!

Why you are taking the hard drive with no method of using it?

If you want something small and pocket size then there are a few reviewed here: http://www.adorama.com/alc/0011757/article/The-Best-Portable-Storage-Right-Now

It's an American site so you may need to shop around for the UK equivalent.

http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/digital-photo-storage.html

Uk based and a relatively reasonably priced range

None of those sites are even remotely up to date. The devices they use are also USB2 & are also slow. Don't waste money on them.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll do some reading on all the suggestions.

I'm still undecided whether to take a dslr or one of my csc's.

The village my parents live in was occupied by the Germans during the war, to protect my mum who was attracting the unwanted attention of the Germans, her dad decided to run away with all the family and live in the mountains surrounding our village, to keep her and themselves safe.
It worked because a few week's later the yanks liberated the village.
I've been invited to go and recreate their escape and live in the mountains for a week, I said I'd do it but only if I could take my camera lol. I'll also have around a dozen batteries, that's why no laptop and just a simple way to backup to a hard drive.

Last edited:
None of those sites are even remotely up to date. The devices they use are also USB2 & are also slow. Don't waste money on them.

thats because there are no USB 3 backup devices for SD cards... would be pointless being faster as most SD cards cant read above USB 2 speed anyway so yes they are up to date. and if you actually look at the article its dated july 8th 2014.

would still recommend a netbook for the sheer versatilty though ( ive just added a bunch of movies for kids to watch on it in the car on way down as well ! ) .. best £45 ive spent in a long time.

i guess a netbook would go against what your doing so that would only leave one of the above mentioned storage banks which are battery operated.. its that or just take a bunch of sd cards.

Last edited:
If you have a Canon 1DIII or 1DIV with a WFT-E2 you can copy all the images from both or any of the two card slots onto a USB stick

Just saying :)

As cards are now so cheap I just tend to take cards rather than backing up to laptop, especially as full hd smartphones (even budget ones) have sort of made lugging a laptop pretty redundant anyway. Even consumer DSLRs now seem to have dual slots for mission critical stuff, but I only shoot for personal use so never bother with dual sd based backup.

Why you are taking the hard drive with no method of using it?

I'll be able to use it for other things when i'm at my parents house in the village, before and after the trip..

What camera do you have?

A few Canon dslr's and loads of Panasonic m4/3's

trascend cards ( 90mb/s ones ) the ultimate range.. £15 for 32gb card free delivery on amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=transcend ultimate&sprefix=transcend ul,electronics&rh=i:electronics,k:transcend ultimate

very fast and top notch quality

As cards are now so cheap I just tend to take cards rather than backing up to laptop, especially as full hd smartphones (even budget ones) have sort of made lugging a laptop pretty redundant anyway. Even consumer DSLRs now seem to have dual slots for mission critical stuff, but I only shoot for personal use so never bother with dual sd based backup.

Yeah i suppose i could go down that route, i could take a load of cards and not bother backing up till i get back to my house?

Last edited:
I have a 32gb card in my Sony A7 and it'll take over 1,200 raws and the 32gb card in my Panasonic GX7 will take over 1,800. Personally, with cards being cheap and able to hold so many images I wouldn't worry about backing them up or about not taking a pc.

I'll be in Italy for 3 weeks, just on this trip for a week, but yeah i think i'm going to go down the card route, less to carry around and worry about.

Had an archos 5 (might be worth looking at these or something similar). My archos 5 now (250gb hd) has a leaking battery and no (easy) way of getting it out :/

However, when it was workign fine, was brilliant. Take a mornings worth of pics, offload at lunch via card reader, shoot an afternoons worth of pics.

Gonna miss it, but archos company have been going slowly down hill trying to copy ipod I think...

I believe there are alternatives, just need to look for usb adaptor etc...

Good luck!

Realise your original reason for asking will now be in the past but just in case anyone stumbles upon this in a search, here's what I do for data on SD cards:

Kington MobileLite Wireless device, c£25
Portable USB hard drive or high-capacity USB memory stick

The MobileLite has wifi built in, and an SD reader. Using an iOS app I can browse & copy any/ all files on the SD card, or direct from the camera over wifi. With a USB hard drive or memory stick plugged in I can back up to that storage; I can also copy from and write to my iPhone's camera roll.

At current prices it's exceptional value.

and how exactly did i fail to comprehend it..seems only one person failed to comprehend what was said. as for 3 months. maybe its because the thread became active again yesterday answers that one though what concern of yours it is im really not sure.

Back