Badger feeding time.

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been playing around with different ways of feeding the badgers and pine martens in the back garden. I have not done very much wildlife photography before and need to work at it, so any tips will be appreciated. I think I need to look at lighting (only have on camera flash at present) and then look to changing the set up.

Dave

Thanks for the comments all. I never stop telling myself how lucky it is to have these visitors.

Dave

Thats awesome! Bet with a couple of off camera flash you could get something really really special there. Most of us have to spend the night in the colt wet woods for a chance of shooting these!

Thanks Callum. I'm going to think how I can improve things. At present I can sit inside and get the odd shot or two. This is not too difficult as it is dark inside so the badgers do not spot me easily, though they are very aware of the slightest noise.

Dave

Thanks Callum. I'm going to think how I can improve things. At present I can sit inside and get the odd shot or two. This is not too difficult as it is dark inside so the badgers do not spot me easily, though they are very aware of the slightest noise.

Dave
Badgers have dreadful eyesight Dave, don`t worry too much on that score. They have excellent sense of smell and decent hearing though.

Too true, Ade. Its interesting to see the different reactions from badgers and pine martens. The badgers frequently 'look' towards me but I'm sure they are looking towards a sound or smell. Whereas when the pine martens 'look' it appears quite clearly they are really looking and from then on they will have a quick look now and again to check what it happening and if they do run off, they seem to come back fairly quickly, carefully having a look as they do.
I think the lack of excellent sight in badgers makes them more wary and more likely to be startled, even if they are the cause as happened when one of them pushed the log over and both were off like rockets.

Dave

Back