Badminton Horse Trials XC Day

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
evening all,

Today I spent an excellent day with my family at Badminton Horse Trials in the stunning but not too hot weather and took my camera with me as always and these are what i managed to come away with.

any c&c is always welcome but i do appreciate i have posted 9 images which is alot! :)

1#

Ben Hobday at the Lake by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

2#

James Robinson at the L200 Pick-ups by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

3#

Clare Lewis at the Shogun Hollow by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

4#

Vicky Brake at the Shogun Hollow by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

5#

Joris Vanspringel Galloping by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

6#

Matthew Wright at the Colt Pond by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with any of those, 3, 5 and 8 are the standout shots for me, as an ex eventer I'd be asking to buy copies of those if they were me and my neddy.

Tara (currently at work but hoping to be home to watch the final phase!)

Given the restrictions that exist in trying to get a decent view you've pulled some belters there, unless you had an orange vest of course! :LOL:

Most of those could easily feature in H&H with No3 being the stand out as it emphasises the size of the fences on the course (helped by a slightly late jump by the look of things).

The only week ones are No7, which I'd exclude for the obvious reason, and possibly No8 for being slightly too far behind it's quarters, although it's timed so well and with such good configuration that I'd be very very hard pushed to bin it!

These are excellent, and as Mark says if taken just as a plain spectator and not an official tog then you should be very pleased indeed.

The only week ones are No7, which I'd exclude for the obvious reason, and possibly No8 for being slightly too far behind it's quarters, although it's timed so well and with such good configuration that I'd be very very hard pushed to bin it!

out of interest what is the obvious reason you would bin 7?

thanks for the comments all much appreciated, and no i was not media so had no orrange bib :)

alastair

It's fairly simple;

Eventing is a partnership of horse and rider with each having equal importance. The shot blocks off one half of the combination!

It's fairly simple;

Eventing is a partnership of horse and rider with each having equal importance. The shot blocks off one half of the combination!

ah never thought of it like that! cheers (y)

Shows how much I know about this sport,#7 is my favourite.:LOL:

All excellent IMO though. (y)

Stew.
its one of my favourites too and i used to event, which is why i was surprised that it was flagged up as being a weaker image, but that's why i post for critique as i had never thought about it like that :)

All very good shots, but the last isn't Ruth Edge

Super set of images which you must be very pleased with, I know that I would be.

Great shots Alastair. I am going to an Eventing Ireland outing next Saturday and am really looking forward to it, especially the cross country. If you dont mind me asking what lens were you using and what shutter speed? Heres one from last years event at the same venue
_DSC0004_final_edited-1.jpg

merv:)

#6 to me stands out the most with the facial expression of the rider and the horse extending it's legs to land. Definitely my favorite of the bunch.

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to Badminton this year and this is an excellent set, all are strong images showing exactly what the horses and riders are capable of. #7 is the standout for me, I love the fact that you can see the riders eyes and the shot exudes energy.

(y)

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to Badminton this year and this is an excellent set, all are strong images showing exactly what the horses and riders are capable of. #7 is the standout for me, I love the fact that you can see the riders eyes and the shot exudes energy.

(y)
thanks, I have always liked your work alot so that means a lot (y)

blythieboy, I will have a play with the wb :)

Really good stuff ,Alistair,lovely vibrant ,well taken shots ,and much better than the boring ,unadventurous crap sold by most official event photographers .

I think these are excellent!

Really like number 5, 6, and 7.

Excellent photos!

Thanks for posting.

Back