Band Shoot

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
This was a first for me. I was approached by a local band to do some promo shots for them - so after a good bit of location scouting and weather checking we went ahead today.

It was too windy to get the umbrellas onto the two off camera flashes (forgot sandbags - rookie mistake) so went with bare strobes. Plus it was the first sunny day we've had in about 6 months!! I banked on it being overcast so I was fighting the harsh light every step of the way.

Anyway, here's a few of the results. Any feedback is always welcome! :)

2 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

3 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

4 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

5 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Really like the processing on the last two. Would have preferred the last without the cut off head, but I can appreciate why you did it.

Like the last one Danny, but a good set overall.
Did they choose the whole, not all looking forward thing?

Cheers Jake.

I shot a few where they were all looking at the camera and it looked a bit naff so I suggested they each looked in a different direction. The drummer (guy looking at the camera) mustn't have got the memo but I thought it actually worked. Are you not so sure? :)

It does work, Danny. What was the light setup?

It does work, Danny. What was the light setup?

Thanks. I had two off camera flashes, high left and right. Ideally wanted to stick umbrellas on them but the wind prevented that (need to get to B&Q for some sandbags). Had to end up going with bare flash which I think, in the end, works with the gritty texture of the wall.

Next time I'd make it easier for myself and wait until the ambient light is less harsh. Felt like I was fighting it rather than working with it.

That's what I thought. Next time try it with one flash feathering across the guys and the other on axis. See those ugly cross shadows? Got wanna avoid those if possible.

Cheers Jake.

I shot a few where they were all looking at the camera and it looked a bit naff so I suggested they each looked in a different direction. The drummer (guy looking at the camera) mustn't have got the memo but I thought it actually worked. Are you not so sure? :)

It does bother me, more so in the one where just the drummer is looking. With them all looking away it's better.
The last one works best though as they are all looking at something that is included in the image.
Have you had a look at magazines etc for ideas on other bands posing?

I like the effect as it creates a bit of mystery and dynamism. I attempted something similar on this band shoot...

7235307210_d03a2a9d97_b.jpg

sorry, need to read better. I don't think the one with no members looking at the camera works - you need someone to engage - but the one with just one member doing so works for me.

That's what I thought. Next time try it with one flash feathering across the guys and the other on axis. See those ugly cross shadows? Got wanna avoid those if possible.
sorry, need to read better. I don't think the one with no members looking at the camera works - you need someone to engage - but the one with just one member doing so works for me.

Thanks for the feedback Dean - just the kinda crit I'm after. Going from working with solely natural light and the odd reflector to a couple of speedlights is a bit daunting.

It does bother me, more so in the one where just the drummer is looking. With them all looking away it's better.
The last one works best though as they are all looking at something that is included in the image.
Have you had a look at magazines etc for ideas on other bands posing?

Appreciate the feedback mate.

I checked out a few sources online. There were a few tips from a guy who'd shot The Foo Fighters, Elbow etc and one tip that stuck with me was to try and create triangle shapes between the heads in group shots for a descent layout - that's what i was after in No4.

Better direction from me is definitely needed but I think that aspect will strengthen with experience.

Appreciate the feedback mate.

I checked out a few sources online. There were a few tips from a guy who'd shot The Foo Fighters, Elbow etc and one tip that stuck with me was to try and create triangle shapes between the heads in group shots for a descent layout - that's what i was after in No4.

Better direction from me is definitely needed but I think that aspect will strengthen with experience.

It could just be my opinion of course, and it's not a genre I will even pretend to have experience in.
Same as with everything you'll improve in time! These are still great.

Back