Wild Bank Vole, close up/macro shot!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
A close up shot of one of the Bank Voles, seen on my rockery, in the garden/back yard.

After 3 weeks of placing sunflower seeds/crushed peanuts on the rockery, the bank voles have just started to show themselves again.

Nikon D7100 with nikon micro/macro 105mm VR lens used.

Camera flash and home made diffuser used. Hand held, poor light.

All comments welcome, cheers Paul.

This 1st image, has been cropped approx 50%.

Bank Vole close up, in the rockery! 16th-January-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

The 2nd image is not cropped at all.

Note- Both Bank Vole and Wood Mouse share the same tunnels, so there is the occasional "squabble on the rockery"!

Bank Vole in the rockery! (uncropped). 16th-January-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

2nd image isn't showing up for me. Impressive how close you were able to get for the first shot since it's hand held, were they not scared off by you?

2nd image isn't showing up for me. Impressive how close you were able to get for the first shot since it's hand held, were they not scared off by you?

2nd image is showing for me?? probably just Flickr having problems, looks sorted now.

Thanks for the comment, yes both the Bank Voles and the Wood Mouse are certainly scared of me. The Bank Voles are more wary than the Wood Mouse too, whilst the Wood Mouse will eat in the open, the Bank Voles tend to "smash an grab", but any movement from me, and these little creatures will take off fast. I watch the rockery, from my kitchen window, i let them gain some confidence, by not disturbing them straight away. I wait for them to take off with some food for their storage/stash. This gives me a couple of minutes to quickly get out into the garden, to take up position(approx 2 feet/60cms) from where i know they will emerge from their tunnels under the rockery. I crouch down low, camera on and wait! When they return, they will not come out at 1st, but once they get used to a large dark object(me!) in front of them, they will eventually come out to feed. The camera shutter scares them at 1st, but they soon get used to that noise. Any movement/noise from me, and they will be gone in a flash, but they will return...eventually.

Back