Wild Barn Owl Hunting

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Not a bird photographer really, more of a landscape guy, but I have been visiting these Barn Owls locally to me after hearing one of them screeching at night and wanting to find them. Took me ages but eventually I saw them and was over the moon to see a pair with 5 fledglings. I have been back a few times with the camera and ended up just watching as it has been too dark, but on Sunday it had been raining for ages and this one came out early in light still when it had stopped. Full respect to you bird photographers though, it was not easy.

Barn Owl by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, any C & C welcome.

Well done for tracking them down and getting the images, looks like he spotted you too :)

Great shots! Love number one the most. Love the way it pops against the roofs in the background.

Nice set Craig
Great birds to locate and photograph,sadly theyr'e in decline! Well done..

I like number 1 for the wing position.

They have fantastic hearing and the sound of the shutter always gets their attention :)

Heavy rain through the night can restrict their hunting as they use sound to locate their prey. They often hunt longer into daylight after heavy overnight rain.

Dave.

Great set there! I have 1 or 2 in my area but wouldn't even no where to start to find their nightly route! We have the sounds most through the night most nights here!

Thank you all. I will be back, my goal is to get a decent frame filling shot, I have spotted some regular perches so may lie up in wait...

A really excellent set. Personally I much prefer these type of shots to the frame fillers. I especially like #1 & #2 showing the owl complete with prey flying over the fence returning to base. The fields and oof houses give a nice feel to the whole scene. If I was ultra picky I'd attempt to clone out the telegraph pole above the bird in #1 and also the white spot on the wire below it. Picture #2 couldn't be better IMO.

Back