Battery Grip repair cost ?????? (UPDATE)

W

whiteflyer

The thumbscrew gearing on my Canon BG-E2N has broken (it will not screw on to my camera) :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Has anyone got an idea about repair cost.

Are battery grips something that can be repaired?

Can it be dismantled easily? If so, might be worth having a wee look, it's probably a 2-second repair....

I don't have to tools (a tiny weeny screwdriver) and believe it's a plastic gear that has broken.

I phone Canon in the morning but just asked if anyone had an idea.

Really **** off as it's the first time I've removed it in months Just wish I'd left it now :(

Nikon ones are easily repaired and if my memory is correct canon are the same principal the screw you twist has a toothed (plasic) inner bit that turns the actual screw that fixes to the tripod mount so looks like this is all you may need to replace on it the teeth do wear

WARNING

Do not over tighten your grip.

Got my quotes to repair my grip and the cheapest is £50.

I may just get an ebay clone for less money now and bin the canon crap.

Why not see if the yank place in the link will ship over here and repair it yourself? Going to be cheaper than 50 notes..

WARNING

Do not over tighten your grip.

Got my quotes to repair my grip and the cheapest is £50.

I may just get an ebay clone for less money now and bin the canon crap.

If you're going down that route, why not try and dismantel yours if you can get at the thumbwheel and thread screw, you can either obtain a replacement part or try some very strong glue to lock the thread back into the thumbwheel ? something like araldite.

You've nothing to loose, if you completely *******s it up.

Hope you do manage to get it sorted - if so, why not take a few photos of your repair proceedure and post them up (y)

you forgot the fact that the camera thinks it is being powered by AA batteries with the grip installed and as such you can't manually clean the sensor or get 6.5fps in AI servo focus mode. tis a shame cause the grip is decent quality for a decent price.

I didn't forget it, I didn't know it :p

Not the end of the world imo :)

Well I've had it apart and I cant do the job myself, nor could I if a bought the replacement bit from the USA.

I did this at work so no photos.

After removing the top cover, I found the top plate assembly as below

cy1-4313.jpg

I gently looked under this and found there is no access to the actual gears as they are enclosed in the assembly by a metal riveted holder.

The big problem for me would be that the wiring (a very thin ribbon and a few lose wires runs through the hole in the assembly. These wire look to be soldered on at BOTH ends. which would make it a skill job IMHO to get them off and thread through a new top plate. A design clearly made to stop user repair.

So it's off to be repaired at a quoted "about £50 mate" from Lehman's. This issue about 5fps in AI servo focus mode would be huge for me.

Now I know to some £50 may not be a lot, but it has really #*&$ me off, spending money on something I should not need too, when I not exactly flush with cash, my photo enthusiasm has be shot to pieces.

Have looked around the web it looks to be a common problem with the BG-E2 grip, at least I could get mine off the body, unlike other who have had to hacksaw it off.

Have you read about the attachment problem on some of the early BG-E2
grips not seating properly? It would appear a lot of people who had this problem overtightened the screw and stripped the gears.
Obviously dosn't help you now but when you get the repaired one back it might be worthwhile checking the fit. Maybe speak to Lehmans about it !
C

Back