Battle of Britain Show at Duxford 2010

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey Guys,

Been abit of a lurker on here and thought i would share some of my pics from the Dux meeting on 5th September

C&C very much welcomed.

All the best

Peter

bbmf3.jpg

buchon.jpg

hurribbmf.jpg

jung.jpg

kent.jpg

p51again.jpg

Given the limitations of the background, I like all of them, nicely exposed, good composition and I have to say I dont generally 'go' for shots of aircraft (other than some of the very dramatic or special interest ones) but I do like these.
Much pp?

Matt

Excellent shots, I'm extremely jealous.

Much pp?

Matt

Hi,

Many thanks for the positive comments all :)

I havent had to do a huge amount on them, Levels + Curves, NR abit of sharpening and crop

My PP isntthe best and could do with improvement, But i am generally happy with what I put into the camera, its what comes out of PP I find more concerning :nuts:

Glad you like them :D

First one is good, and then they get more and more good !
Well done, that's a fine set of pictures.

I can tell you the gear but the settings etc I cant until i have PS to hand :)

They were all taken on a Nikon D2x with a 70-200 AFS/VR with a 1.7 converter in Shutter Prio mode set to around 1/250 while trying to maintain F5.6-F6.3 using ISO 100-250 with Spot metering +1EV

Hope that helps

Love the comments glad people like the pictures :)

Cracking set. That shot of the two Mustangs it fantastic (y)

Shame you could not clone the smoke from the bi-plane onto the Messerschmidt :) Otherwise, wonderful shots.

Very nice shots Peter. When I first saw them I thought I would be able to choose a particular favourite - but failed as I like them all equally, well done...!

John

Hi Guys,

Thought i would pop up a couple more :)

I was using a Nikon 70-200 VR version 1 with a 1.7x Tele on it :)

tuc.jpg

hurriredo.jpg

old.jpg

glad2.jpg

spit.jpg

Many thanks for all the great comments! Really appreciate every one of them

I must admit that i find it very easy to use and that i dont lose anything from using the converter.

I have the 1.4 also and cant say that i lose any image quality from it, i have had prints up to A2 with it with excellent results.

I can only speak with the 1.4 and the 1.7 but they are very good with the 70-200

What about weight - did you find it ok or a bit too heavy? Panning with aircraft isn't the easist thing to do even with a light lens/body combination.

I am used to using a full size camera body, Wont lie in the fact that the arms do take a pounding though, I have tried monopods but i much prefer hand holding cameras for photography, although I do know some people who swear by them.

I think as with all things it takes practise, I could do with more :p

I haven't tried it but I suspect it's almost impossible to follow an aircraft using a monopod. Did you use an unlocked ball-head when you tried it?

i loosened the head right up so in effect I was just using it loose, then loosened the collar on the lens as i could rotate as the mood took me, worked quite well dont know if i could do it all the time, i enjoy my freeholding too much ;)

i loosened the head right up so in effect I was just using it loose, then loosened the collar on the lens as i could rotate as the mood took me, worked quite well ....

That sounds like the best technique for a monopod - it's still darned tricky though with a fast-moving aircraft. I've done some ground-to-air with a television camera at Duxford and the trickiest part is fast-panning an aircraft - even on a 180-degree pan, the tripod legs get in the way.

I did some air-to-air shooting too - at Duxford and BBMF Coningsby.

That sounds like the best technique for a monopod - it's still darned tricky though with a fast-moving aircraft. I've done some ground-to-air with a television camera at Duxford and the trickiest part is fast-panning an aircraft - even on a 180-degree pan, the tripod legs get in the way.

I did some air-to-air shooting too - at Duxford and BBMF Coningsby.

I would love to do some air to air but have never had the chance

dont envy you with the video, DLSR is bad enough!

I would love to do some air to air but have never had the chance ....

It's totally different to ground-to-air and a million times better (an understatement!). We did several trips using various camera planes - Beech 18, de Havilland Devon, Harvard, Grumman Avenger and a B-25 (pic).

Last edited:
It's totally different to ground-to-air and a million times better (an understatement!). We did several trips using various camera planes - Beech 18, de Havilland Devon, Harvard, Grumman Avenger and a B-25 (pic).

Very nice, I am doing my Private pilots license at the moment but I think half the time I have enough to worry about besides waving a camera about!

But in saying that im only in a Pa28 :p

Last edited:
Very nice, I am doing my Private pilots license at the moment but I think half the time I have enough to worry about besides waving a camera about!

But in saying that im only in a Pa28 :p

Where are you doing your training for the license? I just looked up the spec of the PA28 - there have been a heck of a lot of variants so it must be a reliable bird. (Near the bottom of this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_Cherokee).

Last edited:
I am doing it at Biggin Hill in Kent.

The Pa28 has been around for a while, my school uses Pa28 Warrior II's 160hp. Its fun enough but i cant imagine doing photography while I was flying lol

Need a co-pilot ;)

The Pa28 has been around for a while, my school uses Pa28 Warrior II's 160hp. Its fun enough but i cant imagine doing photography while I was flying lol

I tried shooting from a Piper (can't remember the model) and it didn't work out too well - lots of vibraton. This was much better.

Back