BBQ Ring thing - not an insect or a flower! whoop whoop

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
The missus (when she moved in with me a few years ago) brought a BBQ fire stove thing that has been slowly rusting in the garden so thought I would get a close up of the ring-thing (someone will correct me with the right term hopefully), thought it looked quite abstract and something different to an insect or flower that normally gets posted.

14695640604_a5e8cbdbcb_b.jpg

Its a two image stack, 1/8th power neweer tt520 speedlite flash, 200ISO, 105mm, F10, 6d, siggy 105mm macro and its a crop as well. cheers

I keep coming back to this one.... think it is over sharpened to my eye though it may be the web sizing of the image.

But the shot definitely flows. (y)

I keep coming back to this one.... think it is over sharpened to my eye though it may be the web sizing of the image.

But the shot definitely flows. (y)
I think its combo of me doing the sharpening in post then flickr doing its bit on my smaller res image bryn, looks good at full res, maybe I should remove another step between post and flickr and not bother doing the sharpening and see how that goes

Erm, well the subject matter is a bit dull,but my goodness does it pop! Agree it's about the texture and colour this one, but the lighting is fantastic! Amazing what you can do with a tube of pringles!

And stacked too... :)

Erm, well the subject matter is a bit dull,but my goodness does it pop! Agree it's about the texture and colour this one, but the lighting is fantastic! Amazing what you can do with a tube of pringles!

And stacked too... :)
my stacking tends to be accidents tim, while im wobbling about taking the images, if I see I've got a fairly close set of focussed images on various bits, I'll pop it into photoshop. Most of the time with bugs, I'll have two heads as its moved slightly and PS hasnt aligned it properly, but Im safe with inanimate objects :)

Nice shot, simple but effective.

Excuse the old man question but what's stacking.

Paul

Focus stacking (also known as focal plane merging and z-stacking[1] or focus blending) is adigital image processing technique which combines multiple images taken at different focusdistances to give a resulting image with a greater depth of field (DOF) than any of the individual source images.[2][3] Focus stacking can be used in any situation where individual images have a very shallow depth of field; macro photography and optical microscopy are two typical examples.

The starting point for focus stacking is a series of images captured at different focal depths; in each image different areas of the sample will be in focus. While none of these images has the sample entirely in focus they collectively contain all the data required to generate an image which has all parts of the sample in focus. In-focus regions of each image may be detected automatically, for example via edge detection or Fourier analysis, or selected manually. The in-focus patches are then blended together to generate the final image.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stacking

Last edited:
Yes you can use phtotoshop, certainly if you have the full CS/CC versions (I'm not sure if it's available in elements).

In photoshop CC (which I use) it's under the Photomerge option (see here for a full tutorial).

That said for the majority of my stacks I use Zerene which @poacher linked to above. I find the re-editing tools (once the image is stacked) much more intuitive than with photoshop.

I like it :)
As you say it makes a change from flowers and insects.

LOL, The "Rusty Ring" thing got done already lol...

Nice shot Carl. Good abstract and nicely photographed.

LOL, The "Rusty Ring" thing got done already lol...

Nice shot Carl. Good abstract and nicely photographed.
lol, rusty ring is still making me chuckle

I really like this shot. I am really wanting to get better at finding these shots. I think it challenges you to be creative and see things that do stand out to most. Nice job.(y)

Thanks shayne, just pop into your garden, fine something old and crappy, maybe a wheel barrow, something with nuts/bolts,a grille, an old padlock perhaps? . It hard to see these things with just normal eyesight. Just thinking of something different aside from insects and flowers but it is hard. Taking a look on other's photos on flickr can be a great inspiration. (y)

Back