Beach and Marina

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I have ummm'd and ahhh'd (??) about posting this, it went on my Flickr, then came off, before I decided I liked it and put it back again!
Clearly a large amount of pretty heavy handed PP has gone on, I suspect I have overdone it, a bit like a kid with new paint set...
The end result is far from realistic, but on balance am reasonably pleased with it.
All C&C / feedback very welcome :)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pj9hSY]Lanz-1-3 by JFPICCS, on Flickr[/URL]

View attachment 22405
This is as it was SOOC

Hi, thanks for the feedback, and I believe you may well be right about the ruining if the photo in PP.
The darkness of the original shot is due to my overcompensating for the brightness of the scene, 1pm in Lanzarote, unfortunately I was only able to be there at that time.
I know the shot I was aiming for, highlighting the contrast (in terms of tech and £s, rather than light contrast) between the yachts in marina and the small boats on the beach.
As I said the end result is one I was very unsure of, finally deciding it was a homage to 60s over-done seaside postcards. (though freely admit that wasn't what I wanted.)

The settings etc were as follows :

Manual
Auto WB
ƒ/6.3
35 mm
1/160
ISO 100

Thanks again for taking the time to crit, it is appreciated :)

Hi, thanks for the feedback, and I believe you may well be right about the ruining if the photo in PP.
The darkness of the original shot is due to my overcompensating for the brightness of the scene, 1pm in Lanzarote, unfortunately I was only able to be there at that time.
I know the shot I was aiming for, highlighting the contrast (in terms of tech and £s, rather than light contrast) between the yachts in marina and the small boats on the beach.
As I said the end result is one I was very unsure of, finally deciding it was a homage to 60s over-done seaside postcards. (though freely admit that wasn't what I wanted.)

The settings etc were as follows :

Manual
Auto WB
ƒ/6.3
35 mm
1/160
ISO 100

Thanks again for taking the time to crit, it is appreciated :)

Let me start by sayin well done for your honesty. If you admit your errors youl learn much quicker.

As for your settings... auto wb doesnt mean a thing if you shoot raw but my preference us towards warmer shots so I keep it on cloudy. Your aperture is a little small to get a nice deep dof id suggest somewhere between f11 and 16. This would lower your shutter but im sure yiu had a tripod :p

Manual is fine but dont use it just because people say you should. I shoot half my shots in aperture priority and use the exposure comp to fine tune.

Overall a nice solid image but id love to have a go processing it myself lmao.

I'm gradually learning all the time, relatively new to dSLR use, I have read the point you make about manual not being the be all and end all elsewhere, in truth I skipped from auto modes to manual without pausing at the priority modes, partly out of frustration at auto not letting me take the photos I wanted to, I am currently getting to grips with the priority modes.

I shoot ( ! ) in jpeg for a couple of reasons, firstly ease of access and ease of sharing photos, secondly, my PP skills are not polished enough to warrant shooting everything in RAW, though I do understand the advantages it offers. Thirdly, storage space. I still shoot about ten times more photos than are worth using/keeping/sharing, and whilst I am getting better at taking the photo I want with the camera, I'm a way off being able to cull the number of shots I take.

I DID have a tripod, but this Marina was at the end of a 2 hour trek, essentially across a desert landscape, with a group and the prospect of food and drink in another 500yards... stopping, tripoding (that's a word) etc wasn't really an option :D

Please feel free to have a go at it, link below to original on Flickr. I'd be intrigued to see what you did with it.

Thanks again :)

https://flic.kr/p/pQ9mf3

I'm gradually learning all the time, relatively new to dSLR use, I have read the point you make about manual not being the be all and end all elsewhere, in truth I skipped from auto modes to manual without pausing at the priority modes, partly out of frustration at auto not letting me take the photos I wanted to, I am currently getting to grips with the priority modes.

I shoot ( ! ) in jpeg for a couple of reasons, firstly ease of access and ease of sharing photos, secondly, my PP skills are not polished enough to warrant shooting everything in RAW, though I do understand the advantages it offers. Thirdly, storage space. I still shoot about ten times more photos than are worth using/keeping/sharing, and whilst I am getting better at taking the photo I want with the camera, I'm a way off being able to cull the number of shots I take.

I DID have a tripod, but this Marina was at the end of a 2 hour trek, essentially across a desert landscape, with a group and the prospect of food and drink in another 500yards... stopping, tripoding (that's a word) etc wasn't really an option :D

Please feel free to have a go at it, link below to original on Flickr. I'd be intrigued to see what you did with it.

Thanks again :)

https://flic.kr/p/pQ9mf3
If I get a set il have a play. Not sure how much data will be in a flicker pic though but well find out.

Shoot raw + jpeg so you get both options. A quick pic and something to play with. As for storage, I recently got a 2tb external usb3 hdd for 60quid so storage is cheap. The pp skills will come with the aid of youtube.

My opinion of the whole jpeg raw thing is you wouldnt drive down a morotway in 3rd gear if you can go into 5th or 6th so why hold your camera back.

Back