Beelitz Heilstatten Urbex

Name
Rowan
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,
Just a few shots from my exploration of the Beelitz Heilstatten tuberculosis hospital in Berlin. Very haunting place and very photogenic. Critique much appreciated.
Thanks! :)

Love these, 2 and 3 for me, think 3 JUST pips it, really strong images, might just be me but are 1 and 4 sloping down to the right slightly ?.
Really nice shots tho, to be proud of,
Dave

Thanks a lot! All of them seem to be sloping to some degree but whenever I straighten them, I lose a little of the subject so I left them.

good project but really over contrasty
you can get some detail in situations like this if you use a tripod, a few shots at +/- exposure and then process on an hdr programme

cheers
geof

good project but really over contrasty
you can get some detail in situations like this if you use a tripod, a few shots at +/- exposure and then process on an hdr programme

cheers
geof

I was using a tripod. Generally my style has a lot of darkness which probably isn't to everyone's taste. On my monitor they don't look too dark but it might be of a dodgy calibration.

I was thinking about your comment on contrast and I think some of the subtleties in the picture are lost when downres-ing it so harshly, making it look over-contrasty.

I agree with Geof, little overcontrasty for my taste but definitely looks like an awesome place. I think the last one is my favourite.

Absolutely love Berlin, would definitely like to get out here sometime!

I was using a tripod. Generally my style has a lot of darkness which probably isn't to everyone's taste. On my monitor they don't look too dark but it might be of a dodgy calibration.

no worries...i go for darkness as well but got pulled up for true black to white shots as needed to have all tones between black and white

cheers
geof

These are fantastically atmospheric, the relatively high contrast works well in the situation, there are some good mid-tones, are the blacks in control? The uncalibrated monitor I am using this evening veers towards dark.

Thanks a lot! I've just calibrated my monitor and the blacks look good to me. They are quite dominant but that seems to be what I always tend towards :LOL:

Number 3 for me - I love stair shots of abandoned buildings. I have taken a similar shot at Talgarth hospital in Wales.
Been into abandoned stuff since I was a kid but adult responsibilities seem to hold me back a bit these days.

Super set of shots, love the overall feel of these, number 3 followed by 2 really stand out IMO. Well done.

Love these type of shots and the contrast works for me. How do you find these buildings and get access?

Love these type of shots and the contrast works for me. How do you find these buildings and get access?

:nono: :LOL: The motto of urban exploration: 'take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints and never disclose the location.' But if you type in Beelitz Heilstatten into google you'll find everything you need to know in about 5 mins. Access is easy btw.

Have you any more shots of this place, looks amazing. Googled it and can feel a European trip coming on :)

I few yeah. Here you go. Not quite as good as the first 4 but still quite happy with these.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Just a few shots from my exploration of the Beelitz Heilstatten tuberculosis hospital in Berlin. Very haunting place and very photogenic. Critique much appreciated.
Thanks! :)

Good pictures but I do not want to find myself in this hospital if I had a health problem... I prefer shadows with a little bit of details - the one you can find by moving your screen :D -, but it's just a question of style and taste and hard contrast with closed black works especially fine with the subject here, so no problem for me: it's your choice :cool:

Good pictures but I do not want to find myself in this hospital if I had a health problem... I prefer shadows with a little bit of details - the one you can find by moving your screen :D -, but it's just a question of style and taste and hard contrast with closed black works especially fine with the subject here, so no problem for me: it's your choice :cool:

Exactly. I find that this is one of the main issues with critique sites. Beyond critiquing the technical aspects of the photo in question, there's much clashing of styles and personal preferences.

^^^Ultimately, you take/process the images you do because you like them and unless you're selling for stock or have taken a commission that's what really matters :D

For the record I think these are cracking urbex shots, some of the best I have seen (but I like the high contrast style!) - do you frequent 28dayslater at all?

^^^Ultimately, you take/process the images you do because you like them and unless you're selling for stock or have taken a commission that's what really matters :D

For the record I think these are cracking urbex shots, some of the best I have seen (but I like the high contrast style!) - do you frequent 28dayslater at all?

Wow, that really is a complement! Thanks :) Yeah I love 28dayslater, lots of locations on my to-do list after visiting that site :LOL: This hospital was actually my first post.

Loving the 1st and 2nd one of the second lot of pictures. Have to agree with others these are a superb set of urbex shots with spot on processing (y)

Did you get into the mortuary by anychance?

^^^ah yep, just found your post! Seems like the locals there aren't used to the more "arty" photo style! Saw a post in military where the guy had gone HDR mental and everyone was raving about about his amazing pictures - had he posted here I'm pretty sure he would have got a very different response!

Loving the 1st and 2nd one of the second lot of pictures. Have to agree with others these are a superb set of urbex shots with spot on processing (y)

Did you get into the mortuary by anychance?

I didn't know about the mortuary! That's the thing with this place. It's so big that it really demands multiple visits to see it all.

^^^ah yep, just found your post! Seems like the locals there aren't used to the more "arty" photo style! Saw a post in military where the guy had gone HDR mental and everyone was raving about about his amazing pictures - had he posted here I'm pretty sure he would have got a very different response!

I have to say I think some of the 28dl members are lacking somewhat on the taste front :Lol:

This is my first post on this site & I'm now very glad I registered. Really like your subject & execution. So many critique forums are a race to mediocrity? Though a bit of detail in the mid tones might be better ;-)

This is my first post on this site & I'm now very glad I registered. Really like your subject & execution. So many critique forums are a race to mediocrity? Though a bit of detail in the mid tones might be better ;-)

Glad you like them. I'll be sure to look out for your photos.
I think the issue of the mid tones is slightly less marked on the high-res versions but i think I will focus on the mid tones more next time I take these sorts of shots.

Last edited:
You turned the processing up a notch or three and it worked. #2 & 3 have an excellently haunting atmosphere! (y)

Fantastic! Really, really great urbex shots.

How do you go about finding these places then, weather its in this country or abroad and can you access them easily or have to arrange access?

Fantastic! Really, really great urbex shots.

How do you go about finding these places then, weather its in this country or abroad and can you access them easily or have to arrange access?

I normally search for abandoned places in the country in question and check 28dayslater (great website for urbex.) Normally urbexers don't disclose the exact location of the buildings but with a little research, you'll find loads everywhere. Access depends wildly. Some basically invite you to come in, some are defended like a fortress :LOL:

Exactly. I find that this is one of the main issues with critique sites. Beyond critiquing the technical aspects of the photo in question, there's much clashing of styles and personal preferences.

Style? What is this? :thinking: Looks subversive... :cautious:

Back