Beginner on a budget

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all,

Been looking at getting a DSLR for a while now but a trip to the lake district at the end of the month has finally made me go ahead and get one :p

I am mostly interested in landscape photography but i also want it to be capable of other things. Although my only problem is i'm on a fairly tight budget of around £300 :(

From the research i have done so far i think the Sony Alpha A200 seems like the best bet, I know it may not be the best for landscape but due to my budget i don't think theres much better around.

Now i know absolutely nothing about cameras so is my decision a good one? or is there better to be had for the money? (bearing in mind my budget has to include memory and case ect.)

Also what other important accessories would i need?

Thanks and sorry for the long post :p

Ahh yeah, forgot to mention i already have a tripod laying around somewhere :p

Would i need anything like filters?

Ahh yeah and I forgot to say a big :welcome: to TP in time honoured fashion as I see you have not introduced yourself formally... ;)

Personally I would find your camera and give it plenty of use while you get to know it as well as yourself... :D

Down the road a bit you can think about where you want to go next... :shrug: ... sort of one step at a time... :D

:p

I hear that the Sony's are very good value - or as suggested second hand could be the way forward.

Edit - just realised that you had considered a Sony already.

Onto your next question - what else do you need... I don't actually have a DSLR myself yet but the essentials that spring to mind are a bag, spare battery, and memory cards. You have the tripod covered already so thats good. If you are into landscape I'd imagine you will need some filters but I couldn't help you with which ones.

The other thing I'd recommend is a good book - Bryan Petersons Understanding Exposure is very easy to follow.

Thanks for help guys, much appreciated :) Also thanks pete.rush for the link, Helped me get the price down a bit more :)

One last question, I understand a UV filter is essential for everyday use.. If i was to buy a circular polariser filter would i need to use the UV filter on the lens aswell?

Thanks

Thanks for help guys, much appreciated :) Also thanks pete.rush for the link, Helped me get the price down a bit more :)

One last question, I understand a UV filter is essential for everyday use.. If i was to buy a circular polariser filter would i need to use the UV filter on the lens aswell?

Thanks

No.

One last question, I understand a UV filter is essential for everyday use..

You don't need a UV filter on a DSLR - they were needed on film cameras, but not digital. If you need protection for your lens consider a skylight instead for general use.

I bought a 2nd hand canon 400d and it's spot on! £220 + £65 for a used 18-55mm IS lens. People who subscribe to forums such as this do generally look after their gear so there are bargains to be had. Saying this the a200 is a nice camera.

On a Budget of £300 you should be able to get a s/h canon 20d with a kit lens which in my opinion is a far superior camera than th esony

Dave

Let's not forget Olympus. You may be able to get a new E-420 with kit lens for a shade under £300.

I am selling a D1x in the for sale section for £220. You could get that plus an 18-55 kit lens for about £60. The would give you a great PRO level camera. Yes its just under 6mp but that is enough for A3 prints or canvases and it has a grip built in plus a focus motor like the D90/D200/D300 etc

Its worth considering !

Back