Ben Lomond in the blue hour

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, I managed up with the larks this morning and after a half hour drive to Loch Lomond (empty roads - hurrah!) I took a few snaps. The sunrise was ok, although not spectacular and I think the blue hour photos I managed came out better, if I'm honest. The image below is a stitched panorama and I'm keen to have some thoughts from you "landscapers". I suspect I have overdone the processing - to be honest I don't yet have a good enough eye to be able to know how much is "ok" and when it veers into gaudy. I actually ended up bringing the saturation on this down because I felt it just looked too blue... my camera does seem to make the blue hour really blue and my tweaks here and there probably don't help ;)

I found selecting the crop very hard... a more conventional 1/3:1/3:1/3 just didn't feel right so I've ended up with this with the horizon just below the mid line - not exactly "standard" by any stretch. Trees left and right effectively framed the image but I found them very distracting so just cropped the image inside them. At this time of year the sun rises exactly behind Ben Lomond's peak so the wonderful gradient sky behind is genuine. I managed to catch about the only half hour where the moon was high enough to be over the peak but not yet drowned out by the sun.

It was a total of 8 images shot with my Tamron 17-50mm at its min f/l. ISO was 200 to keep the exposure time somewhat reasonable at 10s and f/16. The meter was showing a swing of about 2EV between the brightest frame (the valley to the left of the Ben) and the darkest (the edges with the trees), so I decided it probably wasn't worth bracketing my panorama, especially since I wanted the Ben itself to be in silhouette.

So, please fire away - I've only been shooting for about 6 months so I know I've got masses to improve on and just after a few pointers on what to start with :)

Cheers

Ben Lomond in the blue hour
by pjm1 (Paul), on Flickr

Hmm. I know the area well. I'd say you've got a bit too much sky up there not doing a lot.

This sort of light is ideal for cityscaping, for landscapes, not so sure. Afyer sunrise, before sunset would give better light.

I have shot a blue hour here, after sunset, but the sky had cirrus clouds giving the sky texture and a fuller range of tones from the sunset afterglow

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. Yeah - you're right with that. I thought at the time it added a bit of calm but actually it's just taking up space...

My sunrise pics were really flat - very disappointing... not much colour in the sky this morning at all. Sunset would be better I'd expect as the light would be falling on the Ben rather than be hiding behind it. May need to make another trip soon...

Thanks Steve. Yeah - you're right with that. I thought at the time it added a bit of calm but actually it's just taking up space...

My sunrise pics were really flat - very disappointing... not much colour in the sky this morning at all. Sunset would be better I'd expect as the light would be falling on the Ben rather than be hiding behind it. May need to make another trip soon...

It was nice and I am nearby, what happens before sunrise and after is often more important, shooting away from the sun or to the left/right (side light) may also yield results. Loch Lomond is lovely in the morning.

I actually like the quality of the light, but agree with Steve re the composition. Still nice though!

Steve: it is lovely at any time of the day as long as the midges and tourists are kept at bay!

Ben: the light was nice there just wasn't much of it! Definitely need to work on my composition & cropping though...

Last edited:
If you had milky way in this shot then I'd say it works. Right now I have to agree with steve - it doesn't particularly show off anything, and I know how pretty it looks in golden light.

Yup... it definitely looks tighter and more "together" with less sky. Also cropping the rock out to the left seems to lift it a touch.

I think my next trip will be a sunset one with the light behind me. See how that works!

Thanks for the feedback - I'll get there in the end :)

Back