benalmedana marina

A potentially very good picture there Graham with a few adjustments, have done a slight edit, will remove if required.

thanks for your response steve,really appreciated.1 have a similar image without the rails,but felt
the rail kinda framed it,now you have me deliberating about which image to put in club comp.!!!!
Anyone else's thoughts.??

I get where you're coming from regarding the rails framing the shot, but I feel that it's too much of a distraction, and rather than framing the shot, it makes it look as if you've not composed the shot properly.
I think the cropped version is a good shot, which may also have been improved if cropped on the right so the main hotel wasn't so central in the image, if you get what I mean.

Last edited:
hi Graham, right where to begin. The image as a whole seems very soft and the railing completely ruins it for me. the scene its self has potential. and the reflections are the key to the shot. It may have been better to shoot from above the railing and put the horizon a little higher. sorry if it seems im being harsh, I just like to give honest feedback and your more than welcome to return the favour on the links below :)

Can I ask what kit and settings you used?

thanks for replies guys,still can't decide which i prefer!!!
phill.d7ooo,tamron 18-270[my travel lens]gorilla pod balanced on bar table!!!
f14,8 secs,30mm

Right! The railings contribute spatial drama that the frames without them lack. Thus that image is the most compelling, and my favourite by far. Removing them amounts to a weakening and cosmeticisation of a strong image. I'd just rotate the whole slightly counter-clockwise I think to get the railing post truly vertical? because it's a key visual anchor. As for the club comp, I couldn't comment - they could well prefer a more sanitised version.

appreciate your reply rog,interesting review.much appreciated.i will put railed image into comp
and let you know result.on that note it will be probably placed behind the 6 hour photo shopped artwork 'images' that
seem to take judges accolades at my local club.!!!!!but thats another story,lol!!
once again thanks for all comments.

Nice shot! And good look with competition.

Hope you had a good holiday, we were there last year, and I recognise the harbour.

Right! The railings contribute spatial drama that the frames without them lack. Thus that image is the most compelling, and my favourite by far. Removing them amounts to a weakening and cosmeticisation of a strong image. I'd just rotate the whole slightly counter-clockwise I think to get the railing post truly vertical? because it's a key visual anchor. As for the club comp, I couldn't comment - they could well prefer a more sanitised version.

We all have opinions but I cant disagree more. The railing makes this a snapshot . The cropped pictures are far better

thanks for your response steve,really appreciated.1 have a similar image without the rails,but felt
the rail kinda framed it,now you have me deliberating about which image to put in club comp.!!!!
Anyone else's thoughts.??

They don't frame it.. well.. literally they do, but I'm not reading the railings as a frame, I'm reading them as an out of focus distraction that massively over shadows the main subject. I understand what you were trying to achieve, but the bright shiny metal rails only serve to remind me how uninteresting the main subject actually is. If it was as dynamic, forceful and demanding as the foreground, then it would have worked, but as it is, it's fights it too much IMO. When cropped, it doesn't really improve the image. Compositionally is may "settle" the viewer more, but it's pretty uninteresting. It's something a tourist would take to say "We stayed here". As someone with no back story... to me, it's just a Spanish Marina with nothing to hold my attention for very long.

hi Graham, right where to begin. The image as a whole seems very soft

Not sure how you can decide that from a 1024 pixel image.

my version without rails. View attachment 23562

It's crooked now :)

For a camera club competition, definitely use the cropped version without the rails.

you should have avoided the railings in the shot
and got more reflections in
cheers
geof

Back