Best Bag?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I'm looking to buy a shoulder bag for my equipment - I've been looking at the Billingham range however they're a little costly imo; are there any cheaper alternatives that can carry the following?

- Canon 6D (with grip)
- Back Up DSLR (Usually 650D)
- 70-200 F/4L
- Sigma 18-35
- Sigma 10-20
- 1.4 Converter
- Usual memory cards etc.

I was originally looking at the Billingham Hadley Pro but guess it'll be too small for the above? Plus I'm hoping there's cheaper alternatives!

Ideally I need to get something before this Friday as my company wants me to photograph the annual golfing day and I don't particuarly want to carry my Lowepro FastPack around all day!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon

Hadley Pro definitely too small. I have a Hadley Pro, and (fairly snugly) can fit a 70-200 2.8 (with the tripod mount removed), a 5DIII (no grip) with 24-70 2.8L fitted, and either a 16-35L or an 85mm 1.2. So. body with lens fitted and 2 x lenses. A gripped body would certainly not fit - the bag is too narrow. It's too narrow really for my 2.8 lenses, but is usable. Your sigma 18-35 or 10-20 would fit with the 1.4 convertor on top with the other lens fitted, and the f4L at the other end. But the grip will be the issue (as will the spare body). Even the Hadley large will be too narrow with the grip fitted. So you are looking at something like a 335 or bigger I guess and then you've lost the portability of the Hadley Pro.

Thank you for your reply - I've just been looking at the 335 but a little expensive really.

Any other makes that people recommend?

Think tank retrospective. Doesn't totally look like a camera bag either. The smaller ones get more kit in than you would think too - one up from the smallest would cope with your list no problems.

For that list of equipment I'd strongly recommend a backpack over a shoulder bag, unless you only intend using it for an hour or so at a time. For an all-day shoot a shoulder bag won't do your neck or shoulders any good - not unless you have time get used to it.

A Billingham hadley pro large should manage all that gear. Mine takes my 5d2 with grip and 70-200 2.8VC fitted facing down. I reckon there would be enough space beside it for a 650d with attached lens and the other lens underneath that. Front pockets for the telecon, memory cards etc..
I can recommend a thinktank retrospective as well, was out and about with my retro 20 at the weekend (not that much kit, gripped 5d2, 17-40, 100mm macro and ringflash) and it was very comfortable to walk around with.

If you want a 335 there's someone selling one in the classifieds for under £100 and it looks in pretty good condition.

Thanks all - much appreciated.

Stu - thanks for letting me know, unfortunately I can't view the classifieds until I reach 25 posts I think! Hopefully it'll be there still once I've become a full member!

Cheers,
Simon

a backpack would be better or go optech dual harness and then a belt system

I have a couple of Lowepro Bags already however I really want something that has quick access!

I won't carry around the 600D all of the time so will save some weight there I guess.

Have you noticed that Billinghams have no need of those silly extra rain covers ...? A lot of bags are apparently designed for use in California rather than rainy UK. Or maybe many photographers never stray far from their cars?

I'm pretty sure Billingham is a UK company? I think it has rain protection built in to the layers?

Their no such thing as the perfect bag,the best ones i have tried shoulders bags are Think Tank Billingham & Domke for DSLR kit :)

Very happy with my think tank retrospective.

Regarding backpacks vs shoulder bags, a good back pack does make carrying a load easier, but a shoulder bag is much more convenient to use.

I've just purchased a Billingham 335 from the Sale section for what I think is a decent price, I'll try it to see if I get on with it, if not I'll resell it - I guess they pretty much hold their value.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice!

I too have a retro 20 and it's a great bag, I'm also looking at a Lowepro Flipside Sport 15l, a backpack which you can swing round your waist and open without taking it off.over the years I've discovered one bag just isn't enough :D I will use the retro for when I'm after something more discrete and just taking the 24-70 and 70-200 and the flipside for when I'm carrying my long telephoto lenses.

Back