Best Choice

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Just looking for opinions of people who have experience of mny scenario.

I am going to buy a new slr for aviation shots.

Using a D200 (dads old one) and whilst its ok its af is crap imo

I have narrowed it down to the following bodies (have no major lenses holding me to one brand so open to change). Which is the best one for fast auto focus and low light performance?

1: Canon 40d
2: Nikon D80
3: Sony A700
4: Pentax K20d
5: Panasonic G1

Im not after opinions on IQ as im sure they all can produce stunning shots with the right lenses. Im after opinions on which would have the best aouto focus and low light performance.

Cheers

Hi ,

I havent actually. Will do but tbh i find the d200 not very good. The screen on the back is very small and just seems very clunky.

Hi ,

I havent actually. Will do but tbh i find the d200 not very good. The screen on the back is very small and just seems very clunky.

Technology moves at an ever increasing speed, these things soon become dated, and show their age, having said that still a capable body.

Looking at your list I cannot help sorry, I had a D80 never compared it to anything quantifiable with regard to focus speed, always seemed fine with my 300f4, but must say the D300 is in another league in this respect.

:thinking: I could be wrong but I think the D80 is D200 but less so, so taking your budget into account, did you mean the D90? If you did, only heard good things about it on both counts tbh, though not had chance to try one.

As for focusing speed, Never had a problem shooting motorsport or aviation with the D200 and only upgraded to D300 for its high ISO performance doing indoor sports. Bear in mind the lens can make a huge difference too.

if your budget is 800 does that include lenses?

in your list i would at least change the d80 to d90, and the 40d to 50d
if you have access to nikon lenses i would search for a d300 until you do have 'major' lenses, cos any of those cams youve listed in that price range, arent gonna come with 'major lenses.

Sorry forgot to say it is for body and a half decent lens.

I have narrowed it down to either

Canon 30d with really decent lens
Canon 40d with decent lens
Nikon D80 with really decent lens
Sony A700 with really decent lens

The one thing that will make up my mind is which has the best auto focus. Not going with pentax as autoficus isnt as good as the others.

Any ideas?

Anyone?

Particularly interested in peoples opinion on the canon 30d/40d

Would i get better results from a canon 30d with better lens or canon 40d with decent lens?

I know there is a 2mp deficit in 30d but unless i was printing massively i wouldnt be getting any more detail in my shots from the 40d anyway would i?

there is a 2nd hand D300 mint in the classified section for £775. as mntioned before.
The D300 has a much better af than all the other cameras you mentioned, appart from the sony which I know nothing about.

:thinking: I could be wrong but I think the D80 is D200 but less so.

No, you're right. :) Which leaves the OP's choice of a D80 very confusing tbh? If you're not happy with the D200 then the D80 isn't going to be any better.

Back