Best compact travel tripod, just

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No
I am torn between the Mefoto Daytrip or may be something else except I don't know what else are out there. My main criteria is:

less than 30cm when folded

and as light as possible

Apart from that i am very flexible, the Daytrip is only 800g ! and about 10inches when folded, it ticks all the boxes except it only extent to 24" high, it would be fine if it is like £50 but at £130 seems a bit much for something that is quite limited in use.

Are there any normal height tripod that is less than 30cm when folded, I am willing to get carbon fibre to get something lighter.

I looked into this and decided the really small, light tripods were just too expensive for the amount I use a tripod and compromised on a Manfrotto BeFree (40cm, 1.4kg) but you could have a look at the Redged TSC-525K and Giottos Vitruvian range. Gitzo's Traveller range seems prohibitively expensive although you can't beat the quality.

View item:
Beike BK-777C 1490mm Carbon fibre Travel Folded Tripod Ball head Monopod 8KG+Bag

Only folds down to 35cm but was one of the best flexible options I could find when looking to answer the same question recently. I didn't 'to go for it in the end as I opted for a slightly bigger more traditional design in carbon from a Chinese make.

Reccomendation for the Manfrotto Befree here, bought it not just as a travel tripod but as a lighter replacement for a Redsnapper, very easy to take it with me and use it now and I think its showing in image quality with my shots.
I took it with me to Italy last year, very small, light and easy to take with me, also seems well priced compared to the other much dearer travel tripods.

I'm pleased with my Manfrotto Befree as well. I downsized all my gear (weight-wise) last year as I was fed up of lugging heavy stuff around. The BF fits the bill nicely for me. It light, sturdy for its size (I use a D7100) and has a nice bag with it. It's a little bit over 30cm but still worth a look. Jessops stock them if you've one nearby.

Or this:

I really want to hit the button today on a small tripod, just not sure what to go for.

Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Compact Photo-Movie Kit

I can't decide whether I should get the Manfrotto Befree or the Mefoto Roadtrip or the Redged TSC-525K
As far as I can see, the main difference is how they lock the legs, I have a 055pro so I am used to the way Manfrotto lock their legs and it's secure and sturdy. There is no mistaken if you have locked it by just looking.

The Manfrotto is 200g lighter.

The Mefoto is 2.5cm narrower when folded, this is important if I want to take it out with me for the day. I would just chuck it in my messenger bag, this is where the 30cm limit comes from. My Messenger bag fits a magazine (an A4 piece of paper is 297mm), if its longer I would either need to carry it with another bag or by hand.

I guess I can spend up to £300 for something crazy light and crazy small, but £130 for the Mefoto daytrip that can only go up to 24" is crazy, that's not tall enough to go higher than the handrails on the side of Victoria Peak in Hong Kong which makes carrying it in the first place pointless.

The Mefoto also comes with a Monopod, an advantage but I already have a Monopod (quite a good one, cost me £300) and my shooting don't really require it often.

The left field, and another unknown brand is the Redged, carbon body, 30cm length, it's everything I wanted ! What do people think of this? I've never heard of the brand before or their build quality or reliability.

Any advice welcome.

The left field, and another unknown brand is the Redged, carbon body, 30cm length, it's everything I wanted ! What do people think of this? I've never heard of the brand before or their build quality or reliability.

Any advice welcome.

Amateur photographer Mag reviews the Redged 522 and gave it 5 stars, there's a few other reviews around the web too, all very positive. Redged is a Dutch company, been around since 2009. Having looked at the specs again the CF model you mention is looking my favourite, thicker legs than the aluminium (25 vs 22mm) and holds twice the load 8kg vs 4kg. Looking at all the alternatives spec wise the Redged looks to tick all the boxes

Simon

Ordered the Redged 525k, will report back. :)

It ticks all the boxes and a s long as the build quality is good then I can see it being a keeper. The 30cm really is a limit, if it's longer I have a feeling I just won't take it out with me as it won't fit in my bag. Then there really is no point buying it in the first place.

I can't believe I found it, 30cm, 1.2kg, carbon and less than £200!

Last edited:
Ordered the Redged 525k, will report back. :)

It ticks all the boxes and a s long as the build quality is good then I can see it being a keeper. The 30cm really is a limit, if it's longer I have a feeling I just won't take it out with me as it won't fit in my bag. Then there really is no point buying it in the first place.

I can't believe I found it, 30cm, 1.2kg, carbon and less than £200!

Please do post a mini review if you can, think I might make the same choice

Simon

I've just bought a Mefoto Globetrotter, hopefully I'll get a chance to go out and play with it this weekend

The Globetrooter would be my choice if it is my only tripod, but at £300 for something to just take on holiday which is too long for my criteria is no go.

But please let us know what you think of it (with pictures) when you get it though.

But please let us know what you think of it (with pictures) when you get it though.

I've got it, ask my bank balance .......

I've had conventional tripods for years but they normally stay in the car as I can't be ******** to carry them. Hopefully the size and weight (and the price) will make me put it to good use.

* it's going to Iceland next month :D

Well, I have a full size Manfrotto 055pro, regular aluminium, and it is heavy. I take it to jobs with me and it stays in the car. The bag is big enough to hold my lighting umbrellas, which is also where i store them too lol

For my travel photos, for the last 12 months I've taken my Gorillapod but it is not heavy duty enough for my 5D3. It's fine for landscape shot but not portraits hence I want a new tripod to replace it.

When i am travelling, and by travelling I don't travel with a camera bag, I travel with 1 camera, 1 lens, regular messenger bag. So the tripod has to fit inside my bag. If its too big then I won't carry it out, the trip comes first and if I see a photo, I'd take it, never really go searching for it when i am on holiday. So size and weight is top of the list.

If it weren't for that, the mefoto really would be perfect.

The Mefoto Globetrotter is made by Benro and it's pretty much identical to the Benro C2692 ( http://www.fotosense.co.uk/benro-c2682tb1-travel-angel-2-carbon-fibre-tripod-kit.html ) which is the tripod I use for my landscapes when hiking/wandering around North Wales, it's a great tripod but I don't class it as a travel tripod as I find it too long and bulky for ultimate portability, it is very sturdy though, I don't find it convenient for holidays so don't take it anymore, that's just me though so others might find it suits their needs perfectly.

For ultimate convenience a 5 section tripod is going to be the most compact, also most likely the least stable and the most compromised so you do need to think about usage, for me a 30cm, 1.2kg tripod will go with me on holiday though whilst the Benro doesn't. There's some excellent new models available now in the ultra-small travel tripods.. in the Mefoto range I think the "backpacker" falls nearest to this category though along with the likes of the Sirui t-025x and the redged models mentioned above.

Simon

Well, in the past I've done these with nothing more than a gorillapod, folded starbucks napkins or my wallet with no remote release, I think anything with a rigid legs is an improvement.

NYC

3LRApel.jpg

Florence

maxKu6E.jpg

Hong Kong

ENRZjmC.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots.. as you say it's still possible to get decent shots with relatively feeble tripods.. I managed this one in Reyjavik last year with a budget Hama Star 63 tripod which isn't exactly the most stable one you'll ever come across.. fortunately it was a calm evening

Nice, I love that.

All mine tends to be high up, so windy and cold. The one with the Empire State was particularly tricky, I recall it was at least 10s+, I even did a panoramic stitch of that. I guess I've pulled it off this far without the Redged but a part of me really am looking forward to what else I can do now with it.

Looking closer...and double checking

Gitzo - 35cm, 1.16kg at £700

http://www.gitzo.co.uk/ser1-6x-traveler-kit

Manfrotto BeFree 40cm, 1.4kg at £150.

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/befree

Giottos VGRN 8225, 33cm, 0.95kg, £250

http://www.giottos.com/pro_view.aspx?nId=8&TypeId=15

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...225-tripod-plus-mh5310-630-ball-head/p1526330

The Giottos would've been perfect if it was 3cm shorter as it has a working height of 135cm and under 1kg in weigh.

So leaving the Regred, which do tick every box, with the most important one being length. They really should make tripod in this size !

Checking out all the specs the Redged 525 still looks the best bet to me, it has the thickest legs at 25mm (22mm for the others including Sirui), folds the smallest at 30cm and has the best max load at 8kg

Simon

It's tiny! Looks fat too, but I suppose that's it's short length. Look forward to seeing some proper shots of it and your opinions Raymond :)

Well, after reading through this and a couple other tripod threads, I've just ordered a Redged TSA-322K Travel for a forthcoming trip. Looks like a neat unit, hopefully will get the job done..

It is indeed tiny, about half the length of my Manfrotto. I haven't even opened it fully yet as I am not home. I have unfolded 1 leg and it has a satisfying click at certain stages. Really satisfying, quality metal click. The head uses I think is a standard Arca Swiss plate one, not sure which one as I am not familiar with Arca Swiss plates. It came wrapped in some suede bag over the head. First impression is that the product is very well made, even the hook at the end of the centre column has quite a good spring action to it.
It also comes with a really nice padded bag, better than the one I bought for my Manfrotto 055pro actually.
I will do a little comparison with my Manfrotto 055pro later, I also have a Manfrotto Monopod that I can compare the Redged's monopod feature to as well…although I am not sure if will be fair as the MAnfrotto monopod is actually the most expensive of the 3, costs including the head more than the 055pro and the Redged combined.

Wow that really hits home how small it is, I was put off by the maximum height otherwise I think I would have gone for this.

Would be interested to hear your impressions after putting it through its paces! Did you get the kit version?

After the Gitzo (insane prices), Redged looks to be the best bet so will be following your views!

I am off to Prague next month and Hong Kong the next, will let you know !

Yup, I got the kit version, £194 ball head included.

Back