Best mirrorless system around about £700

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
My mother in law used to be a keen photographer back in the film days and is thinking about getting back into photography. She has a budget of about £700 and wants something not too bulky and easy to use, but something that can handle an increase in her ability as she progresses with the need to upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd say it needs to be fairly straight forward to use and won't need things like a touch screen. Think image quality over gadgets :)

think any of them are decent tbh, guess if she thinks she will do advanced stuff then get something with physical controls aplently

Sony Cyber-Shot RX100 III? Just under 700 very compact, great lens and now with EVF.

The Panasonic Lumix GX7 just got a price drop on our side of the Atlantic, not sure how much it is now in England. I love this camera. It feels just right in my hands. I wrote a post recently to talk about my one year with that camera. If you are interested, you can check it out here: http://www.mirrorlessjourney.com/blog/2014/9/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx7

The OM-D (either the E-M10 or E-M5) and the Fuji X-E2 are all good choices too. I heard good things about the Sony a6000 too but I did not try it.

This can be answered in one, "Fuji" X-E2".

Cheers for the replies everyone, i'll take a look at the cameras and pass on which I think will work well for her. Out of interest what's those who've recommended the X-E2 think of the X100s? I think she'd quite like Fuji because of the retro styling being something like what she'd have shot back in the day with. :)

Cheers for the replies everyone, i'll take a look at the cameras and pass on which I think will work well for her. Out of interest what's those who've recommended the X-E2 think of the X100s? I think she'd quite like Fuji because of the retro styling being something like what she'd have shot back in the day with. :)

Hard to grow with the x100s as it's a fixed 35mm.

At least with the XE2 you can swap and change lenses depending on what you're into.

Hard to grow with the x100s as it's a fixed 35mm.

At least with the XE2 you can swap and change lenses depending on what you're into.

Ahh cheers, tbh she might be ok with that as I think by growing she means using manual settings etc... can't see her forking out loads on lenses in the future so might be a good option :)

Important question : will she need a viewfinder?
If so then go with Fuji X-E2 + great kit zoom or Olympus e-M10, plus some excellent lenses.
If no viewfinder the Olympus e-pL7 is crazy value and the lenses are super.

Important question : will she need a viewfinder?
If so then go with Fuji X-E2 + great kit zoom or Olympus e-M10, plus some excellent lenses.
If no viewfinder the Olympus e-pL7 is crazy value and the lenses are super.

I think she probably would tbh... I'll have a look at the 2 with that you mentioned, cheers :)

Have to say a X100s with the options of buying the tele convert at a later date, even a wide converter after that. From images ive seen they don't seem to loose any image quality to talk off.

Lovely system, as is the ex2. Same image quality as each other. Ex2 only has an electronic view finder, x100s (and soon to be x100t) have a hybrid optical and electronic view finder. Maybe the optical would suit better? Though both EVF's on these are great.

Anything by Fuji!! Have had the XPro (basically the same as the XE2) and an X100.

Styling and build quality are spot on. The JPG straight out the camera are amazing (normally a RAW shooter). Lovely feel and nice controls. Pro with the 35mm is a match for the D700 & 50mm. Depending on what she may shoot would recommend the 18mm and 35mm.

X100 is also excellent and the S would be in budget I think. Nice to use and if the 35mm (FF equiv) is ok then a great camera to use.

Cheers guys for the recommendations, I've done a bit of research and recommended the following to her:

Olympus OM-D EM-5
Fuji X100s
Panasonic GX7

I think the bottom 2 are the best options for her, the EM-5 just seems a little more advanced than she needs but it's personally a camera I would like so have given her info on it as a sort of 'if you want to progress big time this is the best bet' type of thing :)

Appreciate the help as it's made my job a lot easier so cheers again :)

Reading your last post, I'm guessing your sorted now Andy but I couldn't recommend the X100 range enough. I had the original and my friend still does. We were out on Sunday and I always end up having a go of his X100 and wishing I hadn't sold mine. Such a brilliant camera with ridiculously good image quality. So much so, I'm trying to justify spending £1000 on the X100t when it is released in November.

Reading your last post, I'm guessing your sorted now Andy but I couldn't recommend the X100 range enough. I had the original and my friend still does. We were out on Sunday and I always end up having a go of his X100 and wishing I hadn't sold mine. Such a brilliant camera with ridiculously good image quality. So much so, I'm trying to justify spending £1000 on the X100t when it is released in November.

Cheers mate, I said to her the X100s was IMO the right camera for her… I have a feeling she'll go for the Panasonic based on price but if I were her I'd be all over the Fuji :)

When's that wedding btw? Is it in the next few weeks?

Cheers mate, I said to her the X100s was IMO the right camera for her… I have a feeling she'll go for the Panasonic based on price but if I were her I'd be all over the Fuji :)

When's that wedding btw? Is it in the next few weeks?

I've just watched a video on the X100t after typing that and I really want one! But then I think, for the money, there are a couple of things I want that would really help with the wedding photography (there are ultimately 2 more lenses I'd like) so find it hard to justify buying things that I want and don't need.

Yes, the next wedding is a week tomorrow, thanks for asking. As always, I am extremely nervous but excited. :)

I've just watched a video on the X100t after typing that and I really want one! But then I think, for the money, there are a couple of things I want that would really help with the wedding photography (there are ultimately 2 more lenses I'd like) so find it hard to justify buying things that I want and don't need.

Yes, the next wedding is a week tomorrow, thanks for asking. As always, I am extremely nervous but excited. :)

You'll do great mate, can't wait to see the pics :)

2nd hand EM5 for ~£350, 25mm/f1.4 for ~£275. Little bit left over for a kit zoom or filters.

Or an LX100 for £699!

Last edited:
Back