best place in uk to go togging

Unless you have a specific type of landscape in mind. You can find good ones almost any were. You just have to open your eyes and mind.

Open the door to your house, it's all around you..you just aren't used to seeing it.
Yes you can travel hundreds of miles to beauty spots, chances are when you get there the weather and light conditions will be crap. Start local, you will soon start to see everything more clearly even in built up areas.If you are like most people you will probably get in your car and go to work and back? When you get a minute just go for a drive (presuming you can drive ), go off the beaten track, is there a road you pass wondering what is down there? Go down it and see. If there is nothing there then at least that's an area crossed off.
Don't forget your camera and have fun.

Last edited:
Every part of the UK I have visited has great landscapes. My personal favourite is the NW coast of Scotland but I also really like the north Norfolk coast. Good advice from John to work from your local patch.

It is somewhat similar for wildlife - it depends what you want. Some things, such as foxes are almost everywhere (though not that common in northern Scotland), others, such as white tailed eagles are much more restricted in their distribution.

To start with check out your local nature reserve.

Dave

Last edited:
From my limited experience:

Isle of Skye is great for landscape/seascape and there is some wildlife as well.
Northumberland inc Farne Islands.
West Pembrokeshire, inc Skomer Island (breeding Puffins June/July).
Bempton Cliffs for Gannets and other seabirds.
Jurassic Coast, Dorset.
New Forest.
Dartmoor.
Exmoor.
As above local RSPB or WWT reserves.

Not much outside my front door either :)

Being a regular visitor to NW Scotland I tend to find myself comparing everywhere else to there unfavourably. That is my own stupidity though. It is inspiring up there but there is a great image waiting in almost every corner of the British Isles the difficulty is spotting it. Maybe an exercise would be to pick a specific area and a wish list of images and then get creative to achieve those or at least an interpretation of them. Might get some interesting results.

OP, you Leeds based?
The Dales aint a million miles from you. Fountains abbey/Studley royal? (deer-rut just about starting)

Bit of a hike for you but the Western Isles (Outer Hebrides) gets my vote. mountains, beaches, seascapes, amazing light plus some fantastic wildlife.

If you're coming to Skye bring a canoe and a snorkel. Oh and check to see if the bridge is closed due to high winds :rolleyes:

Back