Best travel tripod for Canon 5D

Edit My Images
Yes
Just asking what would be considered the best tripod for travel and general landscape/night photography. My current tripod is a cheap Velbon which although has served us well over the years it's fiddly to set up (i.e. I have to unlock several screws to change from landscape to portrait and shooting direction) and it's also a little bulky, although now I have a heavier camera (Canon 5D) I suppose this is unavoidable in order to get a stable footing.

I suppose I'm really looking for something with a ball joint also something that can be set up quickly and can place the camera close to parapet walls as I'm always taking night shots from high rise buildings and the parapet wall/protection feature always gets in the way. Price is not too important but I don't want to go mad.

Cheers

Gazzaa.

I've been looking at the Benro Tripods are these any good, they seem to be reasonably priced.

Anything that has to serve the purpose of being a travel tripod (ie light) and a night shooting tripod (ie sturdy) is going to be a compromise. Assuming that it's pointless getting a semi-flimsy tripod for night photography, then you'd best look at something on the sturdier side and live with the extra weight.

Yes MisterE you're probably right about the weight issue any suggestions.

I use a Manfrotto 190CXpro3 with 486RC2 ballhead. Bought it for lugging up mountains in Wales. It's pretty light, surprisingly sturdy and quick/easy to set up. More cash will probably buy you lighter or sturdier but I have no complaints.

Yes MisterE you're probably right about the weight issue any suggestions.

I'd go with Dudie's suggestion. I have four tripods for differing uses. I also travel a fair bit, and take plenty of night shots. I used to take my Manfrotto Neotec 485 overseas, which is fairly stable, but I think it's just a bit too heavy. The last time I took an old Velbon, which was really nothing special and almost ended up in the bin until I realised how light it was with an acceptable rigidity. I took the crappy old head off and fitted a Manfrotto ball and now it has a new lease of life. One day I'll look at a carbon for travelling, but it's way down on the list of things to do.

Back