Bewleys Hotel

A beautifully lit building there Mark and well captured the traffic trials add to the shot also.

I've looked at it a couple of times now and there are two things are causing me problems with this shot.

1) The white balance is too cool for my taste. That may be just a matter of taste, though.

2) I suspect you've done some perspective correction in Lightroom, which is fine, but I think you've attempted to correct both vertical and horizontal perspective at the same time. Unfortunately, it's not worked out quite right - everything is leaning to the left (probably because the shot isn't quite level to begin with) and the left hand side of the building more so than the right due to an over-correction of the verticals. The horizontals, meanwhile, are very un-natural.

Doing both at once in LR can have odd effects like this unless you're very careful, things end up with trapezium-like shapes instead of proper rectangles.

I'd suggest you check your verticals and horizontal lines against the grid. Depending on what you've pushed where, on occasion it needs a trip into Photoshop to sort out with the skew tool.

I reckon there's a better version hiding in there somewhere... :)

I would agree that the WB is too cool. Didn't initially notice any perspective issues, but now its mentioned I see it as well. But it is a very good shot, lighting looks balanced and the rest of the processing is also well done!

Back