BIF

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
No, it's the right forum -- this is a Bee In Flight ;-)

Comments please, especially on the processing (and how to catch focus on bees in flight - this was the best I could get, but it's still marginally off, some of you would probably say more than marginally!).

View attachment 16117
Code:
Camera Model Name               : Canon EOS 6D
Exposure Time                   : 1/400
F Number                        : 6.3
ISO                             : 400
Metering Mode                   : Multi-segment
Flash                           : Off, Did not fire
Focal Length                    : 300.0 mm
Lens                            : Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
View attachment 16117

Last edited:
Are you sure it's a wild bee? :D

TBH is looks quite soft and with the OOF background it sort of merges - needs to stand out more from the background I'm afraid (or my glasses need cleaning) :)

Are you sure it's a wild bee? :D

I keep no tame ones ;-) but maybe there's a bee-keeper somewhere not too far...
TBH is looks quite soft and with the OOF background it sort of merges - needs to stand out more from the background I'm afraid (or my glasses need cleaning) :)

Don't be afraid, I agree -- what I need is hints and techniques that can help, which is why it's here.

what I need is hints and techniques that can help, which is why it's here.

Well it looks like you have missed focus, could be a variety of reasons.
Not being a Canon user I'm not best placed to advise on the best way to use your camera to minimise this ... suggest the equivalent of continuous focus and single-point.

Bah, I keep trying and missing. By the time it's dead sharp, the bee moves ;-). I guess it's a technique thing.

Same visitor again today, same problems. Perfectly sharp when landed...but can't catch the focus as it flies off. Tried today with a much greater DoF and was still out. I guess the 6D AF system just isn't up to it, and I'd need to move to a 5DmkIII to catch perfect focus on flying insects. Here's the still shot (to prove that the lens is quite sharp), 300mm f/7.1 1/320 ISO100:

View attachment 16158

Bah, I keep trying and missing. By the time it's dead sharp, the bee moves ;-). I guess it's a technique thing.

Have you tried a faster shutter speed (1/1000+) and a slightly smaller aperture (f8-11) to give a greater depth of field? I'm guessing a small fast moving bee is going to be hard for any auto focus system to keep up so a greater depth of field may help you capture it in the plane of focus, and fast shutter speed will remove any subject blur from the flying bee. The other option is to set up on a tripod, focus manually so you know where the plane of focus is and try to capture the bee as it moves through the plane of focus. A lot of trial and error would probably be required.

I've never tried to capture a bee in flight but I'm guessing it's pretty hard.

Last edited:
Have been trying for days, latest attempts have been as you suggest, up the aperture high to increase my chance of hitting focus. Might try the MF and wait for it to fly in, thanks for the idea!

I use a Canon 40D and mostly a Canon 100-400 lens (which has reasonable fast focussing).
Always it is;
AI Servo and centre focus point only active and very high shutter speeds. I will normally fire a short burst and have at least one sharp pic. I am usually around minimum focussing distance.
With the 100-400 I usually will be on a mono pod.
The suggestion about stopping your lens down a bit is good especially for long lens..

Here are a few of examples. The images original raw files have been downsized for and sharpened for web publishing.

#1 1/3200 @ f5.6 and ISO 400, F=400mm

Bee & blossom at Blackheath (2) by dicktay2000, on Flickr

#2 1/1000 @ f8 and ISO 640, F=400mm
Bee at flowering gum (2) by dicktay2000, on Flickr

#3 This one was with the 40D and a 135mm f2 lens hand held. Same technique was used.
1/800 @ f2 and ISO 200, F=135mm
Working bee by dicktay2000, on Flickr

Hope this helps.

Back