weekly Bilko's 52 for 2012 - Week 48 Shadow Added

Hi Robert

Pack - interesting idea and well handled muliplicity which i have never tried and would prob make a hsh of. As others have said, the bright light top right distracts

Art - spot on theme. (y) I like the pov against the sky but that means that the scale of it cannot be appreciated - but i don't know how i would handle that. Good exposure and detail.

Pointy things have been mentioned and I have a partic bugbear with bar codes and copyright marks. I understand why you might want them there but my eye was drawn there straightaway.

Nicely lit sculpture. You've done well as the day looks reasonably bright and yet you've retained detail in the subject whilst keeping the sky just right.

Thanks everyone.

Lessons to note that I should be taking more care and watch for the little things.

Critique is always useful.

Week 47 Colour

The Christmas Market has arrived back in Belfast and it's always a good candidate for colour.

This is a couple of those rainmaker thingmies. Sorry, not sure of it's proper name.

week47colour by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Reshoot - Pride

I went back to the Cenotaph to get a pride shot, but this time I stood right back to get the sun breaking over the buildings and into the frame with the forground leading up to the Cenotaph.

belfastc1s by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Robert

Color...could double as a reshoot for Abstract as well...lovely n colorful ,jaunty angle , good focus , very psychedelic :)

Pride...I really like this image...sunbursting over the buildings adds plenty os atmosphere & a very poingnant place ...lovely shot mister :clap: I'd maybe have a go at toning down the vibrant blue color in the shop to the rhs(looks like nationwide bs) & same for the truck to the lhs-looks like tomatoes or simlar...but thats being really picky.

Hi Robert.

Colour looks great; I like the very close crop, and it's bang on theme. I do see the slightly soft parts others have mentioned, but don't think they detract too much.

Pride reshoot is lovely, especially with the sunburst, and I like the more distant POV. I agree with Lynne about the shop and the truck though; only small patches, but they do draw the eye a little.

Colour – That’s really nice and colourful. Nice use of the angle between the two instruments

Reshoot – I like the symmetry of the lead in up towards the memorial. For me the sun burst adds to the impact.

Thanks for the comments everyone and apologies for not posting replies to other posts. I've beenworking round the clock for a couple of weeks now on some stuff and have hardly time to do anything else.

Week 48 Shadow. misty weather here put paid to my chances of getting the shot I wanted, so as usual a late attempt.

I got the old wooden fella out again and used th flash off camera to put a shadow over the wall. The clour version was horrible and plain B&W was dull so I spiced up the image a bit although I imagine it won't be to everyones taste.

week48shadow by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, Robert, missed a few....

Art, cracking subject and amazing sky. Well exposed and nice detail in the sky and sculpture. 'Pointy things' have been mentioned. I'd like to see a tad more space on the right because the sculpture's arms are pointing in that direction.

Colour is bang on theme and has an aboriginal art feel to it. I'd like to see it sharp throughout.

Pride, nice lead in and good symmetry. I can't see the exif but wonder if you would have got some nice starburst at f22 from the sun.

Shadow, must get one of these :D well composed and I do like the blue processing. Nice use of vignetting. Think I'd like to see a gap between the figurine and the shadow.

Good show :clap:

Cheers.

Thanks everyone.

With one thing or another, I've not been able to complete the last few weeks.

Gutted I failed the challenge.

I'll not be able to do the challenge for 2013. Well done to those that got this far and are able to finish the challenge for 2012 and good luck to everyone that takes on the challenge for 2013

Hello again, I was about to comment here when I got stood down from work!

Colour, those rainmaker thingymajigs are extremely colourful, the one on the right more so. Certainly a good choice.

Pride reshoot, I'd say the sun has blown the sky a tad bright for me.

Shadow, love this, very simple and nice composition (y)

Please don't give up this close to the end? There are some people that haven't started until November! I've played catch up quite a lot these last few weeks, but still plodding along.

Bilko said:
Thanks everyone.

With one thing or another, I've not been able to complete the last few weeks.

Gutted I failed the challenge.

I'll not be able to do the challenge for 2013. Well done to those that got this far and are able to finish the challenge for 2012 and good luck to everyone that takes on the challenge for 2013

4 weeks to go.....come on, old chap, one final push.

Cheers., and as said, you've done super so far.

Hello again, I was about to comment here when I got stood down from work!

Colour, those rainmaker thingymajigs are extremely colourful, the one on the right more so. Certainly a good choice.

Pride reshoot, I'd say the sun has blown the sky a tad bright for me.

Shadow, love this, very simple and nice composition (y)

Please don't give up this close to the end? There are some people that haven't started until November! I've played catch up quite a lot these last few weeks, but still plodding along.

4 weeks to go.....come on, old chap, one final push.

Cheers., and as said, you've done super so far.

:plus1::agree:

Just 4 more Robert.
You can do it..... you can ....you can :) You have done so well so far with some lovely images. Finish the 52 and then create a calendar for next year with all of your images to remind you what you achieved ... yes i know that you will have 52 images and only 12 months .:D
The difficulties of the lunar calendar :thinking:

Just do a weekly calendar :)

I'm going to do a photo book as a keepsake.

Hi Robert

you've come this far , t'would be a shame not to see it through if you possibly can . & as others have said...YOU AIN'T FAILED...just 2weeks behind, but that doesn't matter .
Be good to do a photobook or calendar to remind you just how well you've done , I've got another cheapy one for my images from KGB deals .
One final push & you've made it mister... (y)

Thanks for the support, but it's just not going to happen.

I've really enjoyed getting the photos done, even when it's been a challenge and sometimes a struggle.

I'll have a look through others work this week and next week.

Thanks everyone.

Back