weekly Bilko's 52 for 2012 - Week 48 Shadow Added

Great leading lines, composition and perspective Robert (y)
difficult lighting but you've handled it well. A B&W conversion may help things along, the sky wasn't kind to you so B&W may help. It doesn't take anything away from the photograph though, as the main drive towards Stormont holds my eye and draws it in through the image. Iain

Hi, magical..nice. Well process and nice look on your son's face. Minor quibble, but I'd like to see the back wall straight.

Vice, nice lighting, low angle and composition. Just the bright specks on a few pills and I'm not sure about.

Entrance, grand indeed. Grand depth and focus, cracking composition. Tad off the top for me, even though it pushed the building a bit closer to the top.

Cheers.

oh I love this, the rise and fall of the drive, lovely

Hi Robert

now that is one grand Entrance (y) Like the overall view...great lead in with the road & the lines in the grass also lead you to the mansion so good take on the theme (y) Sky is sky & rarely does it do what we want :bonk:

It does appear to me to be slightly squiff....just needs to be gnat's whisker lower on the RHS & for me cropped to just before the 1st lamposts

I think B&W would suit really well , I've had a go but I'm still figuring out how to get the best from conversions....would look majorly impressive with some storm clouds over head

Bang on, grand entrance and superbly framed, agree about the lighting but it works,

hi Robert seems i have missed you vice and entrance

Vice - bang on them and the dov and colours work really well on this

Entrance, very grand, the composition is spot on the drive really does lead the eye to a very imposing building, the lighting really is dull another vote for a b and w conversion

Great choice of subject - very grand - and I love the comp and symmetry. A real shame about the light, but unfortunately we can't control the weather! :(

Thanks for the replies and comments. I do take in what's said and suggested and try to aim for better each time.

Week 15 Soft.

Really wasn't sure what to do and so I settled for a cat! I'm not sure it's really on theme. I used a flash through a brolly on the right and a flash to the left to try and bring a bit of light fro the back and behind. I tried to warm the picture up a bit in PS.

Week 15 Soft by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Hi Robert, have to say Im not really a pet person(especially cats!!), but i had to smile at this...fits the theme really well, the cat looks so snug:) good lighting, good focus....

Robert i used to have 3 cats before i got the dogs, would still have a cat if one of my dogs wouldn't eat it, think its already been said you've nailed the lighting, and focus on this one, good effort

Ha, love it, just love it!

Lovely, and looks soft indeed... Nice one Robert

Cats can be soft and sharp from an experience of a clawed hand once. :D Cute shot BTW.

(y) Robert, this is certainly on theme.
Not a cat lover at all but I like this as a photograph, you've managed to capture a certain character about your subject.
Strong compositionally too, the subtle diagonals across the frame work well, the lighting is spot on. Good work all round. Iain

Vice – Nicely lit and good use of DoF

Entrance – Good symmetry on this one. Pity about the plain sky though.

Soft – The background colour suits the subject well. Nice and sharp as well

Thanks everyone. As I've said before. The replies keep me motivated.

Week 16 Pride.

I had the idea of a war memorial and so headed for this one from the Cenotaph at the Belfast City Hall. As usual grey skies made it all very dull, so I cropped in tighter for the inscription and the wreath.

I used Topaz B & W and selective colour on the wreath.

Week 16 Pride by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

I like the shot of the cat it is on theme and excellent exposure and focus like your pride shot too the sudden burst of colour works

Hi Robert. Another good use of selective colour; works extremely well, and I love the crop. Very very nice indeed :)

Hi Robert

Soft - Nice looking Cat, well taken shot, nicely lit, good background & real sharp eyes - Spot On

Pride - Not sure if the steps are blown or whether it's my monitor - never the less, I really like your composition with the wreath to the rh side, i'm not normally a fan of selective colour but it really works with this - very nice :)

Hi, soft...yeah, who doesn't like cats...:D I like to low angle and crop.

Pride, again, like it. Unusual perspective but it conveys a message and a sense of pride. Could be my laptop, but appears a tad over exposed, especially on the top step.

Cheers.

Hi,

Sorry Ive missed a few on here,

Entrance, Great shot, Definitely and big entrance, nice concept, i would of liked the building too of been a bit more highlighted in the picture if that makes sense.

Soft, again nice photo and fits theme, is that a bengal cat?

Pride, Really like this, nothing says proud more than that,

Matt

Another selective colouring that works.

The inscription works really well for me and the contrast is good,

As said looks like some highlight problems with the steps and with the angle of the stone running at the top of the wreath, But I think it’s so nearly there, well done

Great idea for Pride, and it's worked really well... the colour pop doesn't look like it's been colour popped... if you get what I mean. The composition is good, but it may just be my eyes, but the top step looks a little wonky with the frame. Also, the top of the steps seem a little bright, but then I'm using an iMac which is always overbright anyway.. (even using shades, the program...)

Back