Birds at a Lake...

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Arghh, screwed up here - sorry about that... Going to fix it now...

Last edited:
Some well timed captures Pete. I'm looking on an uncalibrated screen right now, but the herons all look like they have a bit of a blue cast to them. Also they may benefit from a little more room for them fo 'fly in to'.

The goose is a good subject for the B&W conversion. I'd like to see just a bit more space above his head and possibly a little bit more contrast, but I do like that shot - good stuff

Thanks Mike,
My editing skills are fairly poor (note to self - stop editing on a really crap laptop - something I trying to work on ..lol
I'll have a play tonight & re-edit them..

Hi Pete - if it's a Grey Heron then it's grey, black and white with a yellow bill and usually dull yellow legs and feet

The reddish legs get me as I cannot remember what you mix with yellow to get that colour, (the red tinge), - cannot remember back to my school days

Did you touch the colour sliders or just change the temperature?

Last edited:
Hi Pete - if it's a Grey Heron then it's grey, black and white with a yellow bill and usually dull yellow legs and feet

The reddish legs get me as I cannot remember what you mix with yellow to get that colour, (the red tinge), - cannot remember back to my school days

Did you touch the colour sliders or just change the temperature?

Thanks Mike, Jeremy & Bill,
I'd 'stupidly' not realised I hit the auto synch when editing - lol.. Made all my shots 3900k ...
Rarely touch the colour sliders & it was just the Temp I'd auto'ed....
Just made a few very quick adjustments..
Hopefully this is better...

Oh, I see now, it's a Purple Heron

pink legs still throw me - I thought that they were yellowish

It can't be a Purple Heron?

were did you take it? Pete,

Last edited:
No, its not a purple heron! They're brown, really brown.

It's a grey heron...... but Pete still needs to set the colour balance correctly, particularly on no 1. It's still too magenta, Pete! Grey herons are a very clean neutral grey colour, without a hint of brown or purple.

No, its not a purple heron! They're brown, really brown.

It's a grey heron...... but Pete still needs to set the colour balance correctly, particularly on no 1. It's still too magenta, Pete! Grey herons are a very clean neutral grey colour, without a hint of brown or purple.

I said it was not a Purple Heron - but I indicated that the Heron was Purple …. obviously not very well ……. and if you look back in the thread I suggested that he had got the temperature wrong and also suggested what colours he should have for a Grey heron
I have seen lots of Grey Herons plus a few Purple

Pete seems to have got the colours correct on the other Grey Heron shots on his Flickr

But there are quite a few Herons around the world - that's why I asked were he took it

Last edited:
Fair enough. Bit of a misunderstanding there then, Bill.

thanks - I just cannot figure out how you can get red from yellow by just modifying the temperature or WB …….. if you add blue to yellow …. you get green, not purple or red
I think that blue plus red = purple ….. so logically the Heron has red legs …… but I'm not sure that helps
as I said it's the legs that throw me

I'll have to do a bit of research!!

Last edited:
Bill,

feel free to pm me - I'm happy for you to tell me where I went wrong...
Oh the Joys of using uncalibrated monitors & being rubbish at editing.......lol :help:

I've just got home & just reset my Lightroom (5.4) so will try again..

Lets see how V3 comes out - :withstupid:

Thanks all for your patience.

Pete, All I've done here is take the white picker tool (the little dropper in LR) and clicked it on a neutral area - in this case the grey on the herons neck just before it goes into shadow, then lowered the exposure by 1/4 stop. With the RAW I'm sure you could get plenty more detail than I can, as I can't do to much with the whites on the head like you'd be able to.

I'll not post it as you have requested no edits but if you give it a try you might find it works very well

good debate, but Pete it's all there in your images you just have to tease it out

that's why it's important to post the "out of the camera" image and then the final PP image - we can all learn and correct from that

as Mike indicates - start again, try several WB settings -cancel them if they don't fit - then shadows and highlights and then fine adjustments

We are all getting there and discovering that PP and LR can work wonders

Next time you're out in the field, Pete, take a really good look at what colour a grey heron is. Or perhaps look it up in a field guide?

Then you can adjust the temp and tint sliders in LR till you get the result you're after. Personally I'm a stickler for accuracy in this department. A bit like sloping horizons......grrr!

To be fair I 'don't normally touch the temp or tint slider in LR but the funnier part is I didn't know that was a Grey Heron.

I knew it was a Heron but that was it...

Only just started taking pictures of birds recently so if you have any good birding websites to visit I'm all up for learning..

thanks again...

Back