Bit of B-ball

Edit My Images
Yes
With the Ice Hockey and other sports having a little breather - got 'stuck' to some basketball this weekend.
Both courts were extremely poorly lit, ISO 2500-3200 was the name of the game. This let me keep the f at 2.8-3.5 with shutter speeds to 1/400 to 1/500.
Shooting in Manual.
Unfortunately both of the team I was photographing had abysmal games.. both lost by around 35 points in their respective games. So all the action was at the other end of the court - but here's a few shots.

I am very happy that I did spend the £'s to buy the 1D MKIII - the ISO can be raised upto 3200 and you can still get some OK quality images.
Or what do you think when looking at these shots...:thinking:

Bball3.jpg

Bball2.jpg

Bball1.jpg

Bball5.jpg

Bball4.jpg

All comments and suggestions, as always, are welcomed (y)

Nice. Like 'em all. real sense of action. You are clearly into your sports photography. Can't think of a single criticism. No. 2 for me just because of the face and effort he's putting into it. Great.

The photos themselves are very good, I like them a lot, especially number 3. Have these images been compressed during the JPEG conversion though? If so, what compression level were you using? On my screen, they seem pixellated in parts (although it is very minor).

The photos are very good. Nice shots, and as above, they capture the action well.

Nice. Like 'em all. real sense of action. You are clearly into your sports photography. Can't think of a single criticism. No. 2 for me just because of the face and effort he's putting into it. Great.

Thanks for your comment - and I suppose I am into my sports togging. As I started to make my living out of it bout 8 months ago (after deciding to quit my CHef work for a while).

The photos themselves are very good, I like them a lot, especially number 3. Have these images been compressed during the JPEG conversion though? If so, what compression level were you using? On my screen, they seem pixellated in parts (although it is very minor).

The photos are very good. Nice shots, and as above, they capture the action well.

Thanks, and valid point there - now that I look at them myself over here. They were shot in RAW - then converted and saved as max JPEGs. And then I resized these from those JPEGs and I think they were down to level 4 or 5 on JPEG.

Funnily enough, I compare these shots. The ones here at TP and exact same image on my desktop - and the one on desktop does not seem as pixelated. :thinking: Luckily enough the ones that went for print (not displayed here) looked OK in the print and web. But need to take more care with the compression next time around...

Congrats on the purchase GooGaBu(y). Looks like the increase in ISO came at the right time. I have to admit to not being very savvy when it comes to BB but these look a nice series of pics. Kind regards Graham.

Congrats on the purchase GooGaBu(y). Looks like the increase in ISO came at the right time. I have to admit to not being very savvy when it comes to BB but these look a nice series of pics. Kind regards Graham.

Thanks Graham! And you are right, the increase in ISO has come at a good time. Haven't dared to try to H (6400) yet to see what that looks like, could use that one as well, at some venues.

Nice that you did think the photos were OK as well.

I don't feel experienced enough to C+C pics at the moment BUT I know what I like and I really like this set (y)

Back