Bit of trial and error (Castle Combe Spring Raceday)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I had an awful lot of fun with these yesterday, ditched my 300mm and went back to my 80-200 as I was getting really bored with how 'standard' my photos were becoming. Dropped the shutter speed down into "hard work" territory and just decided to see what I could come up with.

All straight from camera apart from a bit of cropping here and there...

290302623_RgzpZ-L.jpg

290303994_du6WK-L.jpg

290306321_7Ztdf-L.jpg

290319097_YLfEe-L.jpg

290304480_u3aYF-L.jpg

290328012_a8zgi-L.jpg

Comments appreciated, although I'm not going back to standard stuff as this was so much more enjoyable!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, can't really decide if they all worked successfully, but I'm fairly pleased them.

For info I shot between 1/10 and 1/80 for most of the day, although most of the successful shots were obviously in the higher range. The yellow Evo above is at 1/30 and the yellow Astra is at 1/40, the Ferrari is way up at 1/125.

Don't think I got any Mondeo pics, to be honest I don't even remember it, the LMAs were so brilliant (and packed) it was hard to keep up with it all.

Thanks for the comments, can't really decide if they all worked successfully, but I'm fairly pleased them.

For info I shot between 1/10 and 1/80 for most of the day, although most of the successful shots were obviously in the higher range. The yellow Evo above is at 1/30 and the yellow Astra is at 1/40, the Ferrari is way up at 1/125.

Don't think I got any Mondeo pics, to be honest I don't even remember it, the LMAs were so brilliant (and packed) it was hard to keep up with it all.

:eek: I struggle at 1/200!

Number 2 is wicked, can I see more of it?

Nope, that's your lot :) Trying but miserably failing to get a 'silly speed' panning shot up really tight to the car less than 30ft away (because nothing improves technique like being completely zoomed in on a Radical on the fastest section at Castle Combe...I'm guessing 150mph), I settled with 1/250 in the end, failure.

do you use a monopod with those ultra slow shutter shots?

No, I find it far too restrictive. Saying that I "only" shoot up to a maximum of 420mm, I imagine much longer than that would get seriously difficult. I have got a monopod, just never use it.

Loving the 360 CS. Thought that's a weird front splitter.

Awesome panning shots. Really appreciate how hard it is, having been to Silverstone for the FIAGT recently armed with a 300mm. Like you say, everything looks the same :)

Great work!

Top shooting (y)

i can never get a decent panning shot below 1/60!

the Evo shot is actually my fave

Loving the 360 CS. Thought that's a weird front splitter.

Awesome panning shots. Really appreciate how hard it is, having been to Silverstone for the FIAGT recently armed with a 300mm. Like you say, everything looks the same :)

Great work!

There is a really good photographer on Flickr (Jake Yorath, I think) who takes some amazing shots with his D50 and 80-200 (same combo as me), he got a press pass for the FIAGTs and if anything his shots were better/more interesting when he was stuck back behind the fences. It's good to have limits, in my opinion, I wouldn't trade my 80-200 for a 500 2.8 (if such a thing exists) as my photographs would become dull instantly, very very sharp, but dull!

Back