First attempt with 300mm f/2.8 L IS, all shots wide open at f/2.8
C & C Appreciated.

Kites5.jpg

Kites2.jpg

Kites3.jpg

Kites.jpg

kites6.jpg

Kites4.jpg

Great subject. It must have been very difficult to keep them in the frame. How cropping?

Great subject. It must have been very difficult to keep them in the frame. How cropping?

All apart from the last one were around 50% crops, the last one was almost full frame on a Canon 1D MKII.

Great shots and the last one is the best (i think) - it's always difficult to get some face into the shot with all the rigging about, so top pic.

The other end, the one I dont like is #4 because there's no context for the shot. It could just be a horizontal shot turned 90degrees. He doesn't look like he's making any effort at all (although, thats probably him being very good at kitesurfing). A few more water splashes or a bit of sea would improve the shot.

Great shots and the last one is the best (i think) - it's always difficult to get some face into the shot with all the rigging about, so top pic.

The other end, the one I dont like is #4 because there's no context for the shot. It could just be a horizontal shot turned 90degrees. He doesn't look like he's making any effort at all (although, thats probably him being very good at kitesurfing). A few more water splashes or a bit of sea would improve the shot.

Thanks for your comments, what you may have missed in shot 4 is that the wires from the kite are in the correct orientation for the shot.

Number 4 looks as though it is a staged setup in a studio.............. i know its not there is just something remarkable about it. i love them all............. top marks!!

For those who didn't believe the orientation of shot #4, I'm now serving HUMBLE Pie!! I only wanted a better crop.

Kites-Full.jpg

For those who didn't believe the orientation of shot #4, I'm now serving HUMBLE Pie!! I only wanted a better crop.

Kites-Full.jpg

I don't think Sundance was suggesting it was fake but it "looked" fake. It was one I was going to comment on that it was too tight. Glad you have more of the image as without the sea in the image the "place" is lost.

All great images BTW and a great sport to watch.

(y)

great pictures. I think i prefer #4 with out the cropping. Can see him trying to spot his landing.

great pictures

Great shots, how far off shore were they? Or were you out on a pier or jetty?

Great shots, how far off shore were they? Or were you out on a pier or jetty?

Thanks for the comments guys, I was only about 10 yards from the waters edge just in case a kite hit the deck and the surfers were all within 50 yards of the shore. I think they are holding the comp here again for the third year on the trot, the beach is really wide and very shallow. These guys only seem to need about 6" of water to surf.

Yeeeah make sure your there cos im competing on the whole tour next year.

Back