Bl**dy hell! That was close

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I was covering a showjumping final today and thought I'd try some new shots to complement my 'stock' equestrian images so I stuck my 10-20mm on and got in close to a fence. The first couple were okay and then this big bugger nearly took my head off, it might not look like it on here but the 10-20mm gets you really close. :wacky:

Went back to doing my usual shots after this. :D

_DSC0046.jpg

All I want to do in the picture is tell the person that there legs have slipped too far back and they are jumping ahead of the horse. But I can defintely see where the close and personal touch might be a bit risky!

Great horse shots by the way. Horses are how I got really interested. We always paid so much for the shots and most of the time I felt I could do better. Now I have the camera to do better with but dont' have the horse! Oh well.

Looks like you were lucky :eek: having this lens myself I know exactly how close you must have been, all I will say is good to here your ok (y)

Sod that :eek:

Can you operate the D200 remotely, just thinking it would be safer for you :)

cracking shot though

Sod that :eek:

Can you operate the D200 remotely, just thinking it would be safer for you :)

I was using the D70 for these but I want to look into doing a few more, as far as I can tell no other equine photographers offering these so hopefully the unusual angle will attract a few more customers. :)

Here are another couple taken before I bottled it, having half a ton of horse landing about two feet from you was an interesting experience, a couple of times their hooves caught the bar as they were going across and I remember thinking "Oh ****!" but then seeing the shot on the LCD screen was a bit of an incentive to stay. I had the shutter speed set to 1/800th but it still wasn't quick enough, probably because of the closeness and the fact I wasn't panning.

Class-56-56.jpg

Class-56-58.jpg

Those last two shots with the horse and rider in frame do look pretty impressive, look like you may have carved out another niche for yourself and your clients (y)

(Just dont drop your guard, could be your camera, or worse:eek: )

Great shots, Colin. You have every right to be pleased with them! (y)

Great shots, but it looks like like the riders are not the only ones that need to be wearing a hard hat :bonk:

I was covering a showjumping final today and thought I'd try some new shots to complement my 'stock' equestrian images so I stuck my 10-20mm on and got in close to a fence. The first couple were okay and then this big bugger nearly took my head off, it might not look like it on here but the 10-20mm gets you really close. :wacky:

Went back to doing my usual shots after this. :D

Colin,

Some great shots there. I can't recall seeing any angles like that at any of the shows I have been to recently. Do the organisers mind you being so close to the jumps? Great shots and although you say only an 800 shutter speed it actually IMHO adds a little bit more drama to the shot.

Bob

Hello!

Quick visit to see what's happening here and see Colin has added some wide glasses to his specs collection (or should that be spec-tacular) Rather cool I think. Will have quick rummage around for more of this fine work.

:wave:

I really like the last two images. I don't know if you can set yourself up so that the rider is looking to the next jump in your direction. I know Moms are big on seeing their kids faces (at least mine was). But then again maybe the horse might balk at you being there. Did you find that at all??

Renee

I really like the last two images. I don't know if you can set yourself up so that the rider is looking to the next jump in your direction. I know Moms are big on seeing their kids faces (at least mine was). But then again maybe the horse might balk at you being there. Did you find that at all??

Renee

I wanted to set up on the other side of the fence to get the riders faces towards me but I would have been facing into the sun on this occasion and I wanted a blue sky background.

The horses were not too bothered as I was crouching down behind the wing and it was also the second jump of a double so they were a bit busy. In saying that there were a few that gave me the equivalent of an equine double take! :D :D

Back