B&W Black and white landscape feedback

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Been looking through my photos on my computer to see what I can upload on to Flickr and 500px.

I came across this photo and thought it might look better in black and white.

I'm not 100% certain that I like it better than the colour version. What do you guys think?

Loch Caolisport, head of by DaelPix, on Flickr

Loch Caolisport, head of by DaelPix, on Flickr

Last edited:
For me the b&w is far superior to the colour.

Seems to me that it is all about shapes and textures. The colour adds nothing in my view.

I did think about maybe cropping it on the rhs but concluded that the dark mass on the rhs added to the feeling of depth.

Might be worth taking a bit off the bottom though.

The ?island in the distance on the horizon again adds to the 3D feel and balances the dark mass on the right.

Overall a good picture - would be pleased if it were one of mine.

Now ... it may be that I am being totally unreasonable and it may be that the OP has a perfectly valid reason for not responding since asking his question but .....

.... I do find it a bit irritating if I take time trying to give constructive feed back which is then totally ignored (or seems to be:))

For me the b&w is far superior to the colour.

Seems to me that it is all about shapes and textures. The colour adds nothing in my view.

I did think about maybe cropping it on the rhs but concluded that the dark mass on the rhs added to the feeling of depth.

Might be worth taking a bit off the bottom though.

The ?island in the distance on the horizon again adds to the 3D feel and balances the dark mass on the right.

Overall a good picture - would be pleased if it were one of mine.

Age we with you Chris. I wonder if a bit more contrast for the B&W would give it a little more punch?

Now ... it may be that I am being totally unreasonable and it may be that the OP has a perfectly valid reason for not responding since asking his question but .....

.... I do find it a bit irritating if I take time trying to give constructive feed back which is then totally ignored (or seems to be:))

@Dael_Pix - did you forgot to check back ? ;)

No need to be rude.

Just been busy that's all.

No need to be rude.

Just been busy that's all.

I honestly didn't think I was being rude (and still don't:)) - I was just letting you know how I felt about the lack of response.

And I still don't know if you found the comments helpful or not:)

Long time ago I was on a forum doing a few posts. 2 weeks later someone was really annoyed at me for failing to respond. He said it just showed my position on whatever it was, was wrong, or something along those lines. I'd been on holiday. Best not to get annoyed, in my opinion.

I like the longer format here, and there's quite a difference between the colour and B&W. Texture and depth seem to be weak in the colour version. When colour doesn't do much for a shot sometimes B&W can make all the difference.

Ok to be honest I wasn't busy. I did see the comment and I was waiting for someone else to comment before I replied.

Yes it was helpful what you wrote Chris, so thank you :)
What does 'rhs' mean?

I didn't just convert it to b&w by the way, I gently darkened the land, although I forgot to do the island.
I added a gradient with some clarity on the bottom and lowered the highlights and exposure down on the sky also with a gradient.
I also used a radial tool with light and dark exposure on the left side of the posts on the sand. to make the shadows more visible.

A better sky would be better I think, and I may take the photo again when I go in May.

Dave - thanks for the comments.

Sam - thanks for helping prevent problems

Adrian - thanks for explaining rhs, you beat me to it:)

Back