Black And White Portrait Thread

Great shot Dean. I like the square crop.

I love b&w. Hard to pick a favourite but I really like this one

Emma_Rob_21_600x400.jpg

Had a quick look in the forum and couldn't find a dedicated thread to b&w portraits so thought I would create one to see what people have to offer as I'm a sucker for b&w photographs.

A shot I took earlier of my daughter.
Connie-Garden-BW.jpg

This shot is nice Dean. A beautiful little girl caught with a great expression and the processing fits the scene nicely..

What a cracking idea. There's not a shot posted above that I don't like.

Here are a few of mine... :)

Staff by The_Boot, on Flickr

Cooling Down by The_Boot, on Flickr

Railway Worker by The_Boot, on Flickr

B&W is a new love for me, but I just can't stop processing them this way. :)

The look on the face of the bloke in Cooling Down is classic.

Thanks Chris - it was bloody hot that day (I was struggling just carrying the camera) so I felt really sorry for the chap. :)

It may be a while before I post on this thread : the bar is already very high! So many very good ones...Helen & Franks headshots of the two girls are great as is the one by Craig that is crying out for the caption "I'll get you, Butler!"

Loving all the close in head shoots of the girls, think it's the glassy eyes :)

H

While it's a good shot, I don't think she would thank you for it

H
As i remember she did ask me why i had just taken her photo and when i explained a little about street/people photography and gave her a card with my details,email etc,in case she would like a photo sent to her(usually a good idea i find) she got the idea and we parted the best of friends;)

Some really lovely shots here - I'm going to make a concerted effort to take more with B&W in mind.

009a by Sonriendo, on Flickr

What a great thread, some stunning shots.

A couple from me, candids on film, Fuji Acros I think

Golden-Dome by andysnapper1, on Flickr

After-Church by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Distant-Stare by andysnapper1, on Flickr

And this one was on Agfa Vista colour film but I converted it in Topaz b&e Efex

Alice2 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

I intend to do some more formal portraits on medium format later in the year, just need to decide which camera and which film to use.

Cheers

Andy

One I took today

_DSC9221 by HS-uk, on Flickr

For those interested, a very bright day as you can see in the background, the sun was behind the tree, she was in a lot of shadow so used a little OCF fill placed on the ground I think about 1/8 power, at 1/4 there were hard shadows off her.

It was not a good shoot as she was too hot and not much fun today, she moved a little so sharpness is a little bit off.

H

Last edited:
One I took today

H

Helen,

I think I would have cropped the top/right hand 1/4 off as the bark/tree drags you away from the girl. Well lit though and plenty of contrast, a nice shot especially if tweaked.

Helen,

I think I would have cropped the top/right hand 1/4 off as the bark/tree drags you away from the girl. Well lit though and plenty of contrast, a nice shot especially if tweaked.

Not had time to edit it much, no crop at all, will look again later.

Happy for you to crop and edit :)

A little sad she moved and in no mood to stay still, best I could get.

Thank you :)

H

Last edited:
Some fantastic shots hitting this thread :clap:

H

Posted before bit still one of my all time fav's.

37thWeek-web-1024x696.jpg

Last edited:
Love this - great emotion and eye contact!

Thanks ,that was back when she would look at my camera.:thinking:

My cup of tea this..
A few of mine..

I love how you have actually engaged with your subject, I enjoy street photography, but have not yet got the ball's to engage some one this much.

I'll add a couple of mine but nervously, i have no flash so lamps/natural light etc, if there are not good enough i will remove without foot stamping lol:D as long as you tell me where i've gone wrong :D

No need to remove any there all fine,but I would say the first 3 may be abit over sharpened.

Posted before bit still one of my all time fav's.

stunning use of light (y)

Cracking idea for a thread, love mono. This is just one from my flickr i took last year of my daughter in the back garden before bed.

Great shot Dean. I like the square crop.

Thank you.:)

This shot is nice Dean. A beautiful little girl caught with a great expression and the processing fits the scene nicely..

Thanks Scott.(y)

Glad everyone likes the thread and some stunning shots have been posted.

Few more from me.

2bcf7f685e57c1bc21ba3b9b922f52b5.jpg

Deacon Flat Cap B&W by DeanSupreme, on Flickr

Connie Chair B&W by DeanSupreme, on Flickr

Deacon Chair by DeanSupreme, on Flickr

Connie & Deacon Sitting 2 SHW (1 of 1) by DeanSupreme, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back