Black And White Portrait Thread

14232699371_3cfd5195d7_h.jpg

love shooting black and white portraits though i tend to go slightly toward high key

12795386334_bf3ed7c026_c.jpg

12795488974_8c7f04b6e1_c.jpg

Dean, these are cute, but you've got some clean up issues with your backgrounds there. The top one you've managed to white out the little girls leg and both have areas where you've missed in your clean up.

many years ago a client came wanting me to make him look like a 'Russian' to get him some TV acting work -- I hope I succeded . I used a 1970's Canon FTBn I had bought from a Camera Club member who was 'disenchanted- with it as he couldn't get any club 'winning photos' -- I used the 100mm f2.8 Canon SSC lens , Ilford Pan F film processed in ID 11 1+1 dilution -- a 20x16" Darkroom print won me many awards in Exhibitions. Lighting was by a Bowens 750 W Special and my 1960's Braun Hobby twin flash outfit.

KGB-Comrade
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Love this, Pete. You've nailed the look.

long time since ive been on here... alot of the other forums i tend to use are dying...
14218469515_ac8156d597_b.jpg

I had this 10x8" print in my files and scanned it -- taken at a Camera Club practical night many years ago with tungsten lights, I used my original Asahi Pentax S3 bought about 1961 with a 105mm f2.8 Takumar lens and processed Tri-X film in May&Baker 'Promicrol' 1+1 for 15 mins as recommended by the Late Great Ron Spillman.
Tony by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some really great shots on this thread. I've not really taken many portrait shots, I mainly stick to things that can't criticise the picture I've taken!

However this is one I really like that I took recently on a walk out with my daughter.

Smile
by Soggs, on Flickr

As others have said some great shots on here, this is my offering, caught the missus off guard.

Last edited:
Thought I would add a photo i took in Brentwood High Street outside the Irish Pub where i saw an 'Old Mate' Brian -- I did his Wedding Photos 40 years ago !!
I used my 'gift' Chinon CG-5 loaded with some 1984 dated free Kodak Panatomic X I developed in home--made FX 15 formula 1+1 -- I did a 16x12" darkroom print of it on Ilford Multigrade IV Glossy and got a good mark at my Club.
Good Mate by pentaxpete, on Flickr

One of my Wife' Cousins in Cebu, Philippines 1965 LEICA M2 + 1957 90mm f4 Elmar, ORWO NP22 film home-processed.
Filipina-Girl by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Just a snap, but I like the angle as a change. Usually I'm down in Noah's world, but this angle seems to work for this shot.

14608132027_18e6a53dbe_b.jpg

Love B&W but have struggled to get to grips with processing them. Here's an edit of one of the missus taken last week whilst out for a walk, it was a quick grab shot as she doesn't like to pose but I quite like this edit.

One i liked from the other night. Thought it would fit in well with the black and whites..

OView attachment 18303

Back