Black and white portrait.

Like the light and negative space. Pose is very different (in a good way) makes you feel vunerable, is this guy an actor?

Gaz

Hi Gaz,
Yes, he is an actor. I did a promo shoot for a short film in the studio last night and I was given a bit of time with the actors to get my own shots. This actor is brilliant, I'd seen him in a performance the week before. I had a visualisation for what I wanted in pose and expression and this guy just nailed it for me. It is one of the favourite photos I've ever made. If you full screen this (I framed it 16:9 on purpose) I think it looks at its best. I'm not prone to waffle on about my shots, but this I just love.
Jenny

Hi Jenny.

You sure did nail it. I just viewed it on flickr and it apears you named it "vunerable" which says it all as I hadnt seen the title before.

Fab.

Gaz

Hi Jenny.

You sure did nail it. I just viewed it on flickr and it apears you named it "vunerable" which says it all as I hadnt seen the title before.
Fab.
Gaz

Thanks, Gaz, very kind of you :)

Funny thing is, I feel so pretentious giving a photo a title, this time it just felt right.

Last edited:
Hiya

Like the lighting and (unsurprisingly) love the format if the crop.

Couple of my thoughts (just my opinion so feel free to ignore). I always find it hard to get a pleasing crop of the person when arms are crossing. Especially as the right arm is low on the torso. I don't know what the answer is in terms of a better crop though!!

Title wise, I see scared and cold not necessarily vulnerable.

I like the shot, good lighting and the comments above are just my opinion (so feel free to ignore). Although I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!

S

Hiya

Like the lighting and (unsurprisingly) love the format if the crop.

Couple of my thoughts (just my opinion so feel free to ignore). I always find it hard to get a pleasing crop of the person when arms are crossing. Especially as the right arm is low on the torso. I don't know what the answer is in terms of a better crop though!!

Title wise, I see scared and cold not necessarily vulnerable.

I like the shot, good lighting and the comments above are just my opinion (so feel free to ignore). Although I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!

S

Hi Shaheed, Thanks, really good feedback, much appreciated.

I used the crop especially to leave him stranded in space on a full screen and that's how I'd print it, too. The crossed arms I wanted to be as uncomfortable as possible and to go against an easy composition. For me it works because it made you think,"hey, what's that all about?!".

Re the title, as said before, I am not keen on titling work. A piece like this could mean different things to different people. Perhaps "Isolated" would have suited better? I'll think on it. I like that you see scared and cold, very much the intention. I hoped there was also a hint of "bring it on!" just below the surface, too, as if he might do something unpredictable if broken.

This is a piece I'd like to see printed as big as possible. I love the negative space and would happily see more of it.

Thanks again for your positive feedback. I don't often get a chance to create something like this and your feedback is very encouraging.

Best,
Jenny

Isn't it a bit of a feminine pose? I'm thinking thumbs hitched in his pockets, head down, eyes up, a slightly intimidating stance. Is that clichéd? Just me, but technically excellent. Love the dense black round about.

Hi Shaheed, Thanks, really good feedback, much appreciated.

I used the crop especially to leave him stranded in space on a full screen and that's how I'd print it, too. The crossed arms I wanted to be as uncomfortable as possible and to go against an easy composition. For me it works because it made you think,"hey, what's that all about?!".

Re the title, as said before, I am not keen on titling work. A piece like this could mean different things to different people. Perhaps "Isolated" would have suited better? I'll think on it. I like that you see scared and cold, very much the intention. I hoped there was also a hint of "bring it on!" just below the surface, too, as if he might do something unpredictable if broken.

This is a piece I'd like to see printed as big as possible. I love the negative space and would happily see more of it.

Thanks again for your positive feedback. I don't often get a chance to create something like this and your feedback is very encouraging.

Best,
Jenny

Hi

I think I didn't explain myself very well with the crop - I love (as anybody who regularly sees my stuff) cinematic crops. What I meant was where you choose to crop the body. Above waist/below waist/above knee/ while body? I don't know the right answer by bathe way!!

Shaheed

Isn't it a bit of a feminine pose? I'm thinking thumbs hitched in his pockets, head down, eyes up, a slightly intimidating stance. Is that clichéd? Just me, but technically excellent. Love the dense black round about.

Hi Sam, Re. feminine, I guess it could be seen that way, interesting perspective. In body language a lot of poses are shared between male/female.

I think some of the pose is classic, but I hope with enough to throw it off kilter. Thanks for the positive feedback :)

Hi

I think I didn't explain myself very well with the crop - I love (as anybody who regularly sees my stuff) cinematic crops. What I meant was where you choose to crop the body. Above waist/below waist/above knee/ while body? I don't know the right answer by bathe way!!

Shaheed

Ah, I follow you, thanks for taking the time to explain. I have "rules" in mind when I shoot, but I love to break them with reason. The crop here just felt right, I think because of the balance of light and his body in top and bottom of the shot.

Nicely controlled lighting. Great modelling on teh face... contrast pushed as far as possible without losing shadow detail... nice hair/rim/kicker (delete as appropriate) light. Clearly thought through and planned.

I do not get vulnerable though at all. He looks cold, not vulnerable. That whole hugging yourself thing is just hammy acting. Why not just shoot a range of portraits that actually aren't trying to look vulnerable and call it "vulnerable". In reality, vulnerable people don't actually look vulnerable. Highlight the fact that anyone you walk past in the street may be vulnerable.. vulnerable to illness, debt, bullying, prejudice.... the idea would be more powerful. Images need purpose... a function... and I'm not sure this has one. It feels like something a 1st year photography student would do. Apologies if you are a 1st year photography student BTW... but the whole point in being a student, is to eventually NOT be a student :)

Yes.. that's a cliché

Last edited:
Nicely controlled lighting. Great modelling on teh face... contrast pushed as far as possible without losing shadow detail... nice hair/rim/kicker (delete as appropriate) light. Clearly thought through and planned.

I do not get vulnerable though at all. He looks cold, not vulnerable. That whole hugging yourself thing is just hammy acting. Why not just shoot a range of portraits that actually aren't trying to look vulnerable and call it "vulnerable". In reality, vulnerable people don't actually look vulnerable. Highlight the fact that anyone you walk past in the street may be vulnerable.. vulnerable to illness, debt, bullying, prejudice.... the idea would be more powerful. Images need purpose... a function... and I'm not sure this has one. It feels like something a 1st year photography student would do. Apologies if you are a 1st year photography student BTW... but the whole point in being a student, is to eventually NOT be a student :)
Yes.. that's a cliché

As charming as ever.

Everyone else managed to stay polite. You might want to think about that.

FYI. I am 53 years old. You, on the other hand, sound like a teenager.

It's not hammy acting. If you believe that you have very little understanding of body language or expression.

What an image means to one person can clearly mean something else to another. If you plan to go around telling other people how to feel you're going to have a really tough time.

Is it SO hard for you to just be polite and not behave like a troll everywhere I see you post?

Don't bother replying, I won't see it.

Good grief! You are a college lecturer! God help photography.

Last edited:
As charming as ever.

It's not hammy acting. If you believe that you have very little understanding of body language or expression.

What an image means to one person can clearly mean something else to another. If you plan to go around telling other people how to feel you're going to have a really tough time.

Is it SO hard for you to just be polite and not behave like a troll everywhere I see you post?

There's nothing in my post that's impolite... you just don't like what I'm saying. Can you point out exactly where the impoliteness is because I'm just not seeing it.

As charming as ever.

I'm sorry but that response completely and utterly baffles me.

Nice photograph BTW, but I don't get vulnerable either.

I'm sorry but that response completely and utterly baffles me.

Nice photograph BTW, but I don't get vulnerable either.

thank you and the title really isn't important, as I said above :) Other people have seen it as "Vulnerable", not in this forum. It's great that we all see something our own way,

Back