Black Friday - worth wasting a day searching for a deal?

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Tomorrow is the start of Black Friday.
I really need a 24-70 lens. Is it worth trawling the internet for a deal on this lens?

My choice is would be a Tamron 24-70 but UK version only (5 year warranty)

As a side note, I also need a shoulder bag as my Nikon freebie one' strap broke yesterday. Luckily I caught it before it hit the ground

It's all been a bit underwhelming so far. The Amazon deals have not been competitive, some sold as little as 8% of the available units. The Pentax DSLR and lens was more expensive than places like Jessops and Wex. The OMD EM5 plus grip and 12-50 and 45mm lenses didn't excite me or the general public at £749. The only items that have been of value were some Lowepro Bags and a couple of Tamron 70-300 IS lenses. Virtually nothing caught my eye on the Currys/PC World or on the John Lewis site. Amazon has some Lumix GH3 bodies later today but based on the camera pricing so far (except low end small sensor cameras), I doubt these will be any better than existing prices.

It's all been a bit underwhelming so far. The Amazon deals have not been competitive, some sold as little as 8% of the available units. The Pentax DSLR and lens was more expensive than places like Jessops and Wex. The OMD EM5 plus grip and 12-50 and 45mm lenses didn't excite me or the general public at £749. The only items that have been of value were some Lowepro Bags and a couple of Tamron 70-300 IS lenses. Virtually nothing caught my eye on the Currys/PC World or on the John Lewis site. Amazon has some Lumix GH3 bodies later today but based on the camera pricing so far (except low end small sensor cameras), I doubt these will be any better than existing prices.
Erm,

The Pentax lenses on amazon have been very cheap I'm not sure where else you'd have found the da15mm for £310 or the da300 for about £650.

The offer on the k50 body with the 18-135 was also pretty good.

Last edited:
The k50 + 18-135 lightning offer was £469 with an extra £40 cashback from Pentax. Making a total of £429.

Hdew have some black friday deals. Think you can get 5d3 + 24-105 for around £2000

For the tamron the price is still£100higer then the lowest point in past 3 months

Amazon black Friday price £507 Camera Centre Std price £416 (UK version with £50 cash back).
Black Friday isn't that good. I'd better go to a super store and have a fight of some old stock

Grey imports being resold in UK
with a genuine 3 year warranty in most cases ,and a u.k land line that actually works .there repairs are handled by johnsons camera centre in glasgow who are a verified nikon /canon repair centre .plus a v.a.t receipt can be supplied if required

with a genuine 3 year warranty in most cases ,and a u.k land line that actually works .there repairs are handled by johnsons camera centre in glasgow who are a verified nikon /canon repair centre .plus a v.a.t receipt can be supplied if required

warranty is not with Canon UK
having to ask for a VAT receipt is suspect, pretty much every other company gives you one as a matter of course.
all info out there, buyer has to make up their own mind.

iIwas quite lucky i was looking for a new ssd for my iMac and snaffled a 1tb Samsung evo 480 for £239 on Amazon - £50 cheaper than anywhere else i can find so I'm happy - but when you look at the animals in store and websites crashing on line is it really something we want to borrow from the Yanks? I don't think so !

HDEW have quite a bargain on 600EX flash this weekend. I am getting very tempted.

In the brick stores I have not seen many bargains this evening. The best I got was £5 luxury Tesco Christmas pudding. It will do I guess.

warranty is not with Canon UK
having to ask for a VAT receipt is suspect, pretty much every other company gives you one as a matter of course.
all info out there, buyer has to make up their own mind.
i can only speak from personal experience ,my son purchased a 100-400L lens from them earlier this year ,after 6 months it developed a fault ,he contacted them and was asked to send the lens to john sons in glasgow ,it came back a few days later ,not much better .he again phoned h-dew who told him to send it back again .after a few more days it came back slightly better but not fixed to my lads satisfaction .he contacted h-dew again who told hime to send it back to themselves for either exchange or refund .he took the refund and on top of that they also refunded all postage incurred .
you can argue the toss as much as you like but in future if i buy new it will be from h-dew actions speak louder than words .

HDEW have quite a bargain on 600EX flash this weekend. I am getting very tempted.

And £1215 for a D750, that is seriously good value even for a grey, it undercuts the cheapest of the cheap direct from HK retailers.

Just in case someone is after a :
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Portrait Grip Kit (12-50mm & 45mm lenses and HLD-6 Battery Grip)

That on Amazon on the Black Friday deals for 699.99 (I think 38% drop on Amazon prices).
They will also have a Canon M body later on today ...

Tomorrow is the start of Black Friday.
I really need a 24-70 lens. Is it worth trawling the internet for a deal on this lens?

My choice is would be a Tamron 24-70 but UK version only (5 year warranty)

As a side note, I also need a shoulder bag as my Nikon freebie one' strap broke yesterday. Luckily I caught it before it hit the ground

Jessops have the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 at £719.10
http://www.jessops.com/online.store...mm f2.8 VC USD Lens for Nikon-86105/Show.html

Back