Black Tailed Godwit

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken on a rainy day. I resisted posting this as I wasn't 100% sure about it but seeing the big discussion about feedback on the other thread then maybe some of you guys will add your style of feedback to this image--don't worry my skin is thick-so lets see your form of feedback ..

Black Tailed Godwit by markmolloy, on Flickr

Crap. Move on:D;)

Well, I love it... Where did you get this? I'd really like to see some tech detail. :)

Seriously tho, it's a beautifully balanced shot, exposure is spot on, the rain and the drip at the end of the beak makes it that wee bit more special.

Lovely shot - as "we" try to get more proficient the background and setting, (environment), ranks equally up there with the bird.

Even raining "works" ………… I've started trying to take shots of the rain - it's quite difficult

Maybe a very little more saturation on just the bottom half to bring out the colour reflection a little more …. just a touch …….. or maybe not?

BUT it's NOT a Red Throated Diver

Last edited:
Lovely shot - as "we" try to get more proficient the background and setting, (environment), ranks equally up there with the bird.

Even raining "works" ………… I've started trying to take shots of the rain - it's quite difficult

Maybe a very little more saturation on just the bottom half to bring out the colour reflection a little more …. just a touch …….. or maybe not?

BUT it's NOT a Red Throated Diver
Thanks for commenting. I agree that more saturation would bring out the green but I try to convey as near as I can to the original conditions and maybe even as is was more green than on the day.Cheers.

What were you not sure about Mark?

It ticks a lot of boxes for me, interested to see why you were not sure.

I held it back I think mainly because of the 1/2 way composition and the bird having just 1 leg and the weather conditions and equipment meant it couldn't be critically sharp but I suppose if it was that sharp in those conditions then it may not look correct either...It could possibly do with 1/3rd taken from the bottom but something just doesn't sit right with it as is.

Last edited:
Well, I agree about taking some off the bottom, there is no reflection so little interest in that bottom bit to be honest.

Other than that, I really like the shot Mark. The rain falling, the water drop on the beak, the contrast and colour is spot on, the bubbles on the water are a good touch.

Very little too not like about it in all honesty.

Stunning shot! Great composition, superb view point, and bang on in all other respects.

Yeah it works for me :) I don't think that would have been my choice for the crop but as it is I quite like it.

Yeah it works for me :) I don't think that would have been my choice for the crop but as it is I quite like it.
Etienne, I would have liked a 12x8 composition but if you see the right edge is very white looking where the water turns from green to white-this was a large patch of white and ruined the image hence I cropped it to lose most f it.Cheers...

Etienne, I would have liked a 12x8 composition but if you see the right edge is very white looking where the water turns from green to white-this was a large patch of white and ruined the image hence I cropped it to lose most f it.Cheers...

Yeah that kind of thing is a good reason why I'd love to be awesome in photoshop hehe :D

Just viewed it on Flikr at full size, an excellent shot.

Back