Dances With Dogs
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes

^ #1

^ #2

^ #3

All shot yesterday on Canon 400mm F/5.6L on 7D Mark II, ISO 1000, 0.33 ev, F/8, 1/2500 sec, Av-mode. More info on Flickr.

Images #1 and #2 were the best from a sequence of 4 shot at 10 fps.

All comments welcome :) Thanks for looking.

Robin

#1 format doesn't work for me - format of image detracts from bird, IMHO

#2 is a good BIF shot - nice detail

It's one that needs a comment, mustard..

....The saying "cuts the mustard" means something is excellent whereas "doesn't cut the mustard" means that something fails. So I'm wondering which you mean, Mark @markblake

Btw, I just visited your website and wrote in your visitors book. I was tempted to use the word "mustard" somewhere in my comment :D

Your forum signature: "The perfect picture is the one that drives you to make another" is absolutely spot on!

Robin

#1 format doesn't work for me - format of image detracts from bird, IMHO

#2 is a good BIF shot - nice detail

....For me the widescreen picture format works with the dynamic of the bird's flight in this image. But it could easily be cropped to 16 x 9.

Following your constructive comment about highlights in my Black-headed Gull thread, I have now worked a method into my post-processing workflow. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just to echo - number 2 for me.

You really have come on leaps and bounds since your first posts here (y)

Agreed, second one is quite nice indeed with some lovely light which always helps! :)

....Indeed, Joe, the light can make all the difference as we all know only too well! The light was bright and crisp on Saturday all day and I was out all day and shot 504 images. About 10 are keepers but I would still have been happy if #2 had been the only shot worth keeping.

Thanks, Joe :)

Last edited:
No 3 for me, I love the glint in its eye!

....Yes, the lighting is very natural on #3. It doesn't show off the bird's plumage quite as well as the other two images but I like it enough to keep it.

I photographed quite a few Black-tailed Godwits (no Bar-tailed around) that day but only these few flight shots - The species has an eye which is very visible and suits photography - I haven't needed to do any post-processing of eyes on any of the shots, unlike species such as the Great Tit (depending on the image).

#2 for me robin and you are certainly making good use of that new shiny kit.

You have now mastered the 7d2 with these fine BIF shots Robin :clap: - Well Done!

Russ

....Thanks for the encouragement, Russ :) Much appreciated, especially from a photographer whose work I like.

There's still a lot to learn on the 7D2 of course but my rate of BiF hits is greater and the choices of images also increased with 10 fps. I got a couple of good BiF shots on the 70D (see Oystercatcher below) but the 7D2 gives me more confidence.

^ BiF on same Canon 400mm lens but on 70D in April.

....The saying "cuts the mustard" means something is excellent whereas "doesn't cut the mustard" means that something fails. So I'm wondering which you mean, Mark @markblake

Btw, I just visited your website and wrote in your visitors book. I was tempted to use the word "mustard" somewhere in my comment :D

Your forum signature: "The perfect picture is the one that drives you to make another" is absolutely spot on!

Cuts the mustard, brill, mint, top shot, bang on, just in case there was any confusion, great photography...

Just to echo - number 2 for me.

You really have come on leaps and bounds since your first posts here (y)

....Cheers, Phil :)

#2 is my favourite of the three images too.

I have learnt a lot from the critiques and feedback on TP - Not always what I have wanted to hear and not always aspects I agree with, but I have taken all onboard and feel I have improved because of it all. And the learning and improving isn't over - It never is! And sometimes it's 3 steps forward and then 2 steps back.

Nice in-flight set, all well exposed against the blue sky, with good detail.
#2 is my preference, nice wing shape and without casting shadow from the wing.

Personally I love the panoramic format so no1 really does it for me. You're really getting good results out of that 7d2.

The oystercatcher looks a little too bright to my eyes. I see it has rings on; if you had an image with a readable ring number the local bird recorder would probably like to know about it or you could google "colour-ringed oystercatcher".

Back