weekly blakesters 52 for 2013 Finally Complete! Last 3 weeks added

Yet again, you produce the goods.

Great tones and colours.

Iain, I like the four separate shots, the contrasting colours in each and the spelling which I have to admit I didn't initially get (but that's me duh!). A lot of thought put into this to achieve an excellent diverse result (again!) Look forward to seeing your week 6. You think well outside the box on all your entries :thinking:(y)(y)

Iain, I like the four separate shots, the contrasting colours in each and the spelling which I have to admit I didn't initially get (but that's me duh!). A lot of thought put into this to achieve an excellent diverse result (again!) Look forward to seeing your week 6. You think well outside the box on all your entries :thinking:(y)(y)

Thanks Dave, glad you had to look a while to get it :LOL:

I do try to think outside the box, sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't.

Blast from the past :D

Interesting take on the theme and quite a graphic feel.

Crit, well it's minor points. I'd like to see a tad more light on the tips of the reflection of the middle invader. Being even more critical, the perspective looks ever so slightly off.

Good show, though, and early ;)

Excellent (y). A theme that i am going for. Still waiting for my memorabilia to arrive :( Though i suspect yours will be better.

Love the reflections. Haven't got any negatives. Fantastic.

Blast from the past :D

Interesting take on the theme and quite a graphic feel.

Crit, well it's minor points. I'd like to see a tad more light on the tips of the reflection of the middle invader. Being even more critical, the perspective looks ever so slightly off.

Good show, though, and early ;)

Cheers Andy, please see below for a different version with hopefully your points addressed.

Excellent (y). A theme that i am going for. Still waiting for my memorabilia to arrive :( Though i suspect yours will be better.

Love the reflections. Haven't got any negatives. Fantastic.

Thanks Mark,
I look forward to seeing your version.

A slightly different version to the above.

Space 2 by iain blake, on Flickr

On looking at the edit, I am not sure about it, I feel the reflections are too strong. C&C welcome as always

Last edited:
Hi Iain :)

Wild - Nice one mate, some great colours and detail there, and nice similar nature objects for each letter - A Cracker (y)

Space - The edit for Crop, much more impact in the second but the right one is slightly grayer ?? - as you I prefer the lighter reflections - Great Idea :clap:

Loving this - an excellent idea - and creative use of lego bricks to get the blocky effect... I (my boys) have got a big box of lego that will get used here at some point I'm sure.

First one for me regards the crop and the lighting on the reflections. Is this (first one) not quite as sharp as it could be, or is it the resize??

Couple of "bits" (in both) that would benefit from attention from the clone tool, but we're really down to tiny details now.

Good job. (y)

Hi Iain :)

Wild - Nice one mate, some great colours and detail there, and nice similar nature objects for each letter - A Cracker (y)

Space - The edit for Crop, much more impact in the second but the right one is slightly grayer ?? - as you I prefer the lighter reflections - Great Idea :clap:

Cheers Dean
I see what you mean about the right hand one being grey in the edit, I will have another look when home.

Proper love this. I need to make it my desktop wallpaper ;)

Cheers Chris, thanks for the vote

Really good shot for space! Nice and creative, really like it. I think the reflection adds a lot to the image aswell!

Thanks to you too Lee.

Loving this - an excellent idea - and creative use of lego bricks to get the blocky effect... I (my boys) have got a big box of lego that will get used here at some point I'm sure.

First one for me regards the crop and the lighting on the reflections. Is this (first one) not quite as sharp as it could be, or is it the resize??

Couple of "bits" (in both) that would benefit from attention from the clone tool, but we're really down to tiny details now.

Good job. (y)

Cheers graham, Lego can be helpful at times for the 52, it's well worth having some handy.
I think any softness you are seeing is down to my processing. Although saying that, it's not a particularly big file which I uploaded to Flickr, there may well be something going on there

Really like "Space" (version 1). It's a good contrasty image that is quite striking. I think that the reflection detracts a bit on your 2nd take, and version 1 is slightly better for me because there are more shades of grey (if that makes any sense)

Good stuff!

Ian.

Really like your space shot, used to love playing that when i was younger :LOL:

First one for me (y)

liking the first one the best reflection is a bit too strong on the 2nd one for me another great pic :clap:

Really like "Space" (version 1). It's a good contrasty image that is quite striking. I think that the reflection detracts a bit on your 2nd take, and version 1 is slightly better for me because there are more shades of grey (if that makes any sense)

Good stuff!

Ian.

Cheers Ian (y)
I prefer version 1 too.

Really like your space shot, used to love playing that when i was younger :LOL:

First one for me (y)

Thanks Lisa, fond memories of playing it too.

liking the first one the best reflection is a bit too strong on the 2nd one for me another great pic :clap:

Cheers Allan (y)

Space is excellent Iain i really like it!.... first one for me too i prefer the reflections not so bright(y)

ahh, you have to love space invaders.. prefer the 1st version I think.. same reasons as alan above.. prefer the perspective on that one too..

Hi Iain

space - excsllent idea, well handled. #1 for me - more subtle with the less shadow and not as busy and thus clearer

Thanks Alan, another vote for #1 cheers (y)

ahh, you have to love space invaders.. prefer the 1st version I think.. same reasons as alan above.. prefer the perspective on that one too..

Thanks Michelle, yes whats not to love about space invaders?
How much computers have came on in that time is mind boggling eh?

The edit is bang on. Can't fault it. Very graphic and über contrasty.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, glad you like the edit.
Its not to everyones taste but we are all different eh?

Wild.....4 good shots on their own, the spelling of wild is maybe a little too subtle.

I really like woodface, great lighting and lovely detal.

Space.......Really really love this!!!!!! if only you could have got a little stronger reflections. The second brings out the reflections but looses the space around them so I still prefer the first.

(y)

Last edited:
Wild.....4 good shots on their own, the spelling of wild is maybe a little too subtle.

I really like woodface, great lighting and lovely detal.

Space.......Really really love this!!!!!! if only you could have got a little stronger reflections. The second brings out the reflections but looses the space around them so I still prefer the first.

(y)

Cheers F4E
I appreciate what you are saying about the subtle spelling of the word, sometimes images need a little explanation into theme ;)

I have a further edit of space, with a little stronger reflections but maintaining the space around the figures, I will think about putting it up.

Thanks again (y)

Much prefer version 1 also! Nice idea, well executed - I'd dial back the reflections a bit though! (y)

Cheers WMD, (y)

Week 6 and an early submission for me.
The weather kept me in the house today so I thought I'd get busy.

I made the model myself, so call it handiwork ;)

C&C welcome as always.

Handiwork by iain blake, on Flickr

Cracker. Liking the high key look and the detail is great. I did wonder about the stand, but on reflection it needs to be there.

There's something unnerving about it...can't say what, though.

Cheers and put your feet up

Cracker. Liking the high key look and the detail is great. I did wonder about the stand, but on reflection it needs to be there.

There's something unnerving about it...can't say what, though.

Cheers and put your feet up

Cheers Andy,
Yes I tried cloning the stand out but didn't like the effect, as you I feel it is needed.
Unnerving :LOL: I get what your saying though, it could be looked at as being quite sinister :cautious:

I just see this on Flickr so had to run over!!... Seriously Awesomesauce Iain! ..... It does have a bit of a sinister edge to it..... And I love it :)

I just see this on Flickr so had to run over!!... Seriously Awesomesauce Iain! ..... It does have a bit of a sinister edge to it..... And I love it :)

Thanks Trace, I like that you feel it has a sinister edge to it not my intention but I will take it :LOL:

yep - cracking shot - spot on DOF just loosing the tips of the fingers - good and sharp on the hand and knuckles, but then beautifully fading into OOF towards the wrist.

Thats what makes it work well for me!

Last edited:
Loving this shot. The terminator films spring to mind when I saw this.

Thanks Karl, I never saw the terminator link however now you mention it;)

yep - cracking shot - spot on DOF just loosing the tips of the fingers - good and sharp on the hand and knuckles, but then beautifully dfading into OOF towards the wrist.

Thats what makes it work well for me!

Thanks graham, I like your interpretation especially. It is good to hear different opinions and what people see

Another great shot. The stark white BG is really good as it sets off the shiny wire. Thumbs up again

Back