Bloodhound SSC

Edit My Images
No
I went to the MACH exhibition yesterday and had the privilege of taking to some of the guys working in the Bloodhound SSC project.

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com

The first stage is powered by the Rolls Royce EJ 200 engine that is used in the Eurofighter, it “drives” the car up to about 600mph, then the 2nd stage “rocket” kicks in fully.

Their aim, (Bloodhound), is an average speed of 1,000 mph - the design speed of the car is 1,050 mph - at the Hakskeen Pan, (a dry river bed - I think!!), on the border between S Africa and Namibia - apparently 7,000, (yes thousand), tonnes of (small) stones have been cleared from the track BY HAND - the Rocket will produce 6 tonnes of thrust and the largest man-made noise in the world today.
They need an area of 18 kms long and 1500 mtres wide - to be cleared of every fine stone.

The aim is to reach a new record of 850mph in August 2014 - then a year later in 2015 and 2016, they hope to hit 1,000 mph. It is a big jump as I think that the current land speed record is under 700mph.

1,000 mph will also beat the low altitude "air speed" record

I may go out in August, I know S Africa a little and I can combine it with a "birding" trip

The US salt plains are now no use as they have too much drag at that speed

I'm doing a little work connected with retaining and encouraging engineering skills in the UK so I hope I can keep in touch with what they are doing.

They need all the support that they can get as it is British Engineering at it’s best.

Richard Noble/ Andy Green fame - Andy Green will drive as he is the younger - only in his "fifties" ....... both ex fighter pilots in the Royal Air Force

A few quick jpeg shots of parts of the EJ 200 using the Nikon V1 and kit 10 30mm lens at ISO1600/2500 and it did well indoors.

The last images shows that there is always a "monkey" or two around ………. hope you will enjoy them and take an interest

engine.jpg

engine_2.jpg
engine_3.jpg
engine_4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
I like no 2 its like Engineering art ,,, I wonder what is would look like using HDR ..

Really interesting photos along with a really interesting explanation. It is fascinating. Let's just hope all goes well.

Back