Blue Tit, Yellow Face

Edit My Images
Yes
Took these grab shots last week at Ogston. First time I've seen one with a face as yellow as this, only ever seen them with a white face. Don't know if it's common or not to have this colouring.

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

Are you sure it hasn't been under the Sun Lamp?

Well spotted and recorded. It is a new one on me and we have a lot around.

Maybe it flew into a freshly painted yellow wall?

Or maybe it was the phantom flan flinger?

JB

Thanks for the confirmation SP and Glo. My wife says it's dad was probably a canary.

I'm pretty sure it's an adult bird but it's dipped its face in something! The adults are striking colours (faces excluded) at this time of year, and your bird is no exception, whereas the juvenilles are generally more drab and will have a completely yellow face and don't tend to make an appearance for another month or so.

I've seen blue tits later in the year with blue and purple faces from eating various berries and getting themselves covered in juice but never a yellow face. Maybe it's a custard eating sub-species?!!!!

Definitely not a juvenile and it is far too early really anyway ... :shrug:

It looks like it has been at the nectar in some plant or other and got its face covered in pollen ... ;)

Nicely captured though Lammie ... (y)

:p

Definitely an adult bird at this time of year - too early to be anything else. I've never seen anything like that before, I reckon the pollen theory makes the most sense.

They are well known for breaking into the base of flowers to get the juicy bits ... :cautious:

Natures cream without the tin foil ... :D

:p

Back